Looking for $200 neutral iems with mic
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
I love my DBA-02s but need to be a blessing to use as a head set for calls or video chat. And my budget is $200. To be used primarily straight out of a Pixel and a MacBook. Good isolation is a must. Also, while I do listen to rock, the priority for me is accoustical classical. Solo and orchestral. With and without voice. This, bass should be accurate and impactful but in it's correct proportions.

So far the lead contender is Shure se425. I can get it for $150 used and then spring for a cable with a mic for under $50. Also, the 1more triple and quad look like good choices except that the isolation is reported to be poor. Any other recommendations?

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 14
I love my DBA-02s but need to be a blessing to use as a head set for calls or video chat. And my budget is $200. To be used primarily straight out of a Pixel and a MacBook. Good isolation is a must. Also, while I do listen to rock, the priority for me is accoustical classical. Solo and orchestral. With and without voice. This, bass should be accurate and impactful but in it's correct proportions.

So far the lead contender is Shure se425. I can get it for $150 used and then spring for a cable with a mic for under $50. Also, the 1more triple and quad look like good choices except that the isolation is reported to be poor. Any other recommendations?

The SE425 has good isolation and comfort, but I would not call its bass impactful.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 14
The SE425 has good isolation and comfort, but I would not call its bass impactful.

All the discussions of bass on the SE425 seem to highlight the subjectivity of it. Might be something I'll have to try for my self.

For my own reference, I find that my DBA-02s have 'just enough' bass. My DT880s are a touch lacking, while my HD650s are a hair-shy of being too much. My DT770s might be my preferred amount of bass.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the SE425s, as I never could find a better alternative at that price point. I'll report back.

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 14
Yeah, so the 425s came. I swapped out the cable, put on some of my comply foam tips, and then started listening. Like others, I was disappointed until I watched two videos about for and figured out how I'm supposed to wear them. From that point of view they are much more finicky than the DBA+02s. But once I had them right, the sound came together. It's been all smiles. Oh, and the phone rang and I was able to have a conversation without having to pull them out.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 14
I'll write a full review latter, but I'm pleased by the sound both out of my Pixel and out of my SMSL AD18. I've been listening to different tracks and really like what I hear. Does justice to well recorded classical, from solo stuff to big booming orchestras. I'm listening right now to a recording of Hillary Hahn playing solo Bach on violin, and the tone is fantastic. By the way, one thing I find that quality headphones DO NOT make more enjoyable is Zeppelin :). I guess they're just not recorded well.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 14
I am unaware of any balanced cable with a mic. This is because the mic relys on the common ground in a single ended design in order to work. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I'd like to see an explanation of how it works if it does. I think it would require the use of a 5 terminal TRRRS connector in order to support both the L+, L-, R+, R-, and mic lines.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 14
That makes more sense. in the $200 price point, the Brainwavz b400 is as close to neutral as I've found. The trade off is a little lack of extension on either end.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 14
What do you think of the Ultimate Ears UE 900s? I found them fairly neutral and they isolate well enough for me with the Comply tips.

I find the UE900 to be a mild V with the upper mids slightly recessed and the treble slightly rolled off to prevent fatigue/harshness. My biggest complaint with the UE900s is the build quality does not match the sound quality.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 14
I find the UE900 to be a mild V with the upper mids slightly recessed and the treble slightly rolled off to prevent fatigue/harshness. My biggest complaint with the UE900s is the build quality does not match the sound quality.
Maybe my other IEMs are bass heavy, because I found them too lacking in that area to be v-shaped. I could be wrong, as they're just used for commute and such personally. (Re-reading that, you said mild v-shape, which is probably accurate. I can't verify at the moment)

Are you saying the build quality is good vs bad sound, or bad build quality with a good sound? I'd say the cable leaves something to be desired, but some people purchase it to replace other (cheaper I guess) IEM MMCX cables. Personally I preferred the TripleFi 10, but you look like a lunatic or alien with them sticking out of your ears like they do.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 14
Maybe my other IEMs are bass heavy, because I found them too lacking in that area to be v-shaped. I could be wrong, as they're just used for commute and such personally. (Re-reading that, you said mild v-shape, which is probably accurate. I can't verify at the moment)

Are you saying the build quality is good vs bad sound, or bad build quality with a good sound? I'd say the cable leaves something to be desired, but some people purchase it to replace other (cheaper I guess) IEM MMCX cables. Personally I preferred the TripleFi 10, but you look like a lunatic or alien with them sticking out of your ears like they do.

I call it a mild v because the bass and treble are ahead of the upper-mids. it is a fairly mild dip and V is probably not a very good way to describe it. Imagine a V with a 150 Degree central angle and you get a clearer picture of what I think the sound looks like.

For me, on the 900s Sound >> build. They sound like they belong at the price point they sell for, they look like something that ought to cost a lot less. I just think they feel kind of dime store plastic which doesnt do them justice. (And for the record, they do have durability issues as a result as I am on my 2nd pair).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back