Looking For <$200 IEM that are Perfect for rock. Good For everything else.
Jun 21, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by k2snowboards88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like more opinions about the super.fi 5. Especially regarding sibilance (which ruins the listening experience for me) and if the supposed lack of mid range has a negative impact on non-rock music.

In contrast to eberggren's impressions (and this is the kind of thing you love, eh k2snowboards88?
wink.gif
), I found the super.fi 5 Pros to be quite sibilant when I owned them. In fact, that and the finicky fit are what eventually led me to sell them. My favorite rock-oriented IEMs in this price range would be the Future Sonics Atrio m5/m8 -- sibilance-free with excellent, "as-though-it's-live" bass response. That said, the midrange may be a little too laid-back for your tastes (I'm personally fine with it). The tricky thing with all of this, as you've seen, is that a single earphone can vary widely between listeners, let alone one earphone vs. another...

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #17 of 29
Putting Shure black foams ("olives" in head-fi parlance) on the ER-4P fix almost all the problems I find with the earphones. Sibilance is minimized, bass is made much weightier, comfort is vastly improved over tri-flanges.

I find my olive-tipped ER-4P to be very good with all the metal I listen to, with the exception of the poorly-recorded albums (they can be rather revealing of imperfections in a given recording). They are also exceptional for female vocals, acoustic guitar, classical, strings and ambient music.

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 29
Well, I pulled the trigger (and asked my girlfriend to buy me the er-4p). If its not lively enough for me then i'll return them and get the super.fi 5 pro. I think it will be fine though. The super.fi pro 5's worried me because of the recessed midrange. I've heard some headphones with a recessed midrange and alot of bassists like flea who use the whole range of their instrument have their bass lines continuously go up and down in volume as they drift between midrange and bass. Its really annoying.

To tide myself over i bought these $30 Radioshack Noise Isolating Headphones that have comply brand tips. I'm actually really impressed with them. The only real problem i can find is a lack of deep bass. They seem to be well balanced and decently detailed. Definitely keeping these as my headphones when im working out or doing something else that might damage my expensive headphones. I'm listening to them right now and they really are amazing for the price. Far better than the sonys which i haven't used since buying these.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you guys know what i think about the er-4p when i get them

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 29
Awesome! Glad you made the leap. Hope you enjoy them! Man, I wish my wife was that kind of cool. Well, actually she IS...she bought me my power conditioner no questions asked just because I said I NEEDED it...yeah, she coo...

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how come no one ever mentions the sleeks, should at least check them out. They are family owned and operated.

They might be out of your price range at 249$ though. I dunno, however i think its worth it for the ability to change the way they sound. If you want more treble, sup out a tiny tube...you want more bass? swap out the backing...very nice sounding for rock. Decent for jazz.

The Etys are nice, however most call them bass shy. If you want to really enjoy Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood, sugar, Sex, Magik (one of my favorite CDs btw) you need a IEM that can bring those nice bass tones into your ears. If not the music sounds flat.

I had the Shure E4 for a while, were great for jazz...however one of my favorite bands (Primus, Claypool is god) just didnt sound the way they should.

Nobody mentioned the Sleeks nor the RE1 which are two of the best among universal iems. The RE1 has great bass definition and incredible mids and tames all silbilance. It does need an amp to shine though. A couple of members here commented that the RE1 approaches the performance of the highly regarded triple fi with the use of an amp.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your crappy taste in music aside (totally kidding...)

Says the guy with Slaughter of the Soul in his avy, one of the most ridiculous and negatively influential albums in all of metal, in the vein of Vulgar Display of Power.

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody mentioned the Sleeks nor the RE1 which are two of the best among universal iems. The RE1 has great bass definition and incredible mids and tames all silbilance. It does need an amp to shine though. A couple of members here commented that the RE1 approaches the performance of the highly regarded triple fi with the use of an amp.

I really don't have any plans to use an amp. So any headphones that need them to get great sound wouldn't work for me, but who makes the RE1?

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

I really don't have any plans to use an amp. So any headphones that need them to get great sound wouldn't work for me, but who makes the RE1?

Head direct makes them. Even without an amp, the RE1 is no slouch. You should search for RE1 in this forum, as there are quite a few reviews.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #26 of 29
I got the headphones today as a present(er-4p). And they are amazing. Absolutely perfect for rock and especially red hot chili peppers. I really think anyone who isn't getting strong enough bass for rock either isn't pushing them in far enough or has very bass-heavy tastes. I love they way they only sound better the louder you turn them up. I have to fight the urge... They're simply amazing. The only down side is that when listening to rap or electronic music some of the extremely low sounds that you mainly just hear don't show up so well. I mean extremely low. Like outcast's "i like the way you move"("boom boom boom") the last boom starts to fade out. I Don't think the sf5 would really help in this category anyway because i've read they don't go down super low like that either. All in all, these headphones are great.

I have a question for you guys though. Do you know of any good portable carrying case for these headphones. I don't like the soft case it came with because i feel its too easy to crush the headphones.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Thanks for the information. I Think i will try the ER-4P. I have a few weeks to make up my mind. My birth day is on july 5th and my girlfriend said she would buy me some good headphones (i think she'd like some quiet to do homework hehe). I've been raised going to rock concerts since before i can remember. I've also been raised on wearing ear plugs to all of them, so hopefully that will mean I wont have any comfort problems with the ER-4P. I'll also have to find a good iphone adapter. Preferably one that doesn't stick out as far as all the ones i've seen in stores.

Well folks you know what to say... Happy Birthday k2snowboards88!!
biggrin.gif

Did you get them ER-4P's?

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #29 of 29
Thanks. I got them at midnight. They're great. Everything I hoped. I do have some questions about them though in the last two posts. Any answers would be great. (I still like hearing happy birthday though. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back