Looking for ~200-350CAD closed-back headphones
May 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FriendlyFire

New Head-Fier
So I recently have been looking for a new pair of headphones. I already own B&W 686 speakers with Cambridge Audio Azur 351A amp/DAC and Westone UM Pro 30 IEMs, and I wanted something that somewhat emulates my speaker setup while being able to carry it around a bit.

I've bought a pair of AKG K551 after reading numerous glowing reviews, and while I find that the sound is overall excellent, the lack of bass is a severe downer for me (this is tested with my amp, so driving power shouldn't have been an issue) and so I'm considering returning them. While I find my speakers may have a bit too much bass, the 551 have way too little. My Westones are close to the ideal balance and I really love how accurate they are, but they tend to dig into my ears after a few hours and I'd like something a bit roomier.

Due to space and money constraints I won't have access to a large amp setup. I'm considering an AudioQuest Dragonfly or Meridian Explorer to plug the headphones into since I'll largely be listening to music on my laptop or phone, but neither of those will drive particularly demanding headphones as far as I'm aware. I can only consider closed-back headphones since there will be other people around - sound leaking should also be minimal.

Whatever choice I end up with needs to be a pretty good step up from the K551 because returning those will cost me some. Does anyone have good suggestions to fit this bill?

May 10, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 2
So after some research I've noted the B&W P7, V-MODA M-100 and Audio Technica ATH-M50x. The B&W are quite on the pricey side though.

Anyone has thoughts on these and perhaps other recommendations or a comparison with the K551?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back