looking for ~$150 IEM, air and transparancy without losing bass
Dec 6, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

enemigo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I often make resolution and transparency a top priority when buying audio equipment, and I usually end up missing some authority in the mids/bass.

So now I'm looking for a bit of help for my next purchase. I really want the crystal clear "shiny" highs, but I need a bit of fun in the other end too. It's bit of a thin line for me, to much focus on the highs quickly becomes fatiguing. I mostly listen to rock. Billy Talent, Woven Hand, Black Mountain, Kaiser Chiefs, Serj Tankian, A Perfect Circle, to mention a few. I prefer to use the IEMs unamped.

At the moment Ety HF5 and Atrio M5 are the hottest contenders. I've been looking at q-Jays and UE super.fi 5 too. Selection and prices are terrible around here, so I'll be shopping online.

Got any advice or pointers for me?

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 40
how about fx500?they are wonderful and the highs are crystal clear with beautiful natural bass and mids.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 40
It sounds like you want a pair of UM3Xs, but they cost twice as much brand new. Ironically, you could make a pair for around $150. I hate to say it, but if you're looking for something new in the box, take a look at RE0's. They've been reviewed time and time again by folks who rave about the sound and the value.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 40
midoo1990:
I've read a bit about the Victor/JVC FX500 but decided against it because e few people reported slightly shrill/fatiguing higs. You might be right, but I'm a bit skeptical after reading that.

Bilavideo:
I might not be settisfied with anything less than the UM3X
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately I can't see myself spending that ammount any time soon. Even the Westone 2 (is that the same as UM2?) is a bit too expensive.

I've been looking at the RE0, and read much praise. I suspect it might lack a bit of the fun I've been looking for. I'm mostly listening to rock, and I fear the hihat/cymbals on a poor recording might be unbearable on such an analytical piece as the RE0. Am I right?

K

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
midoo1990:
I've read a bit about the Victor/JVC FX500 but decided against it because e few people reported slightly shrill/fatiguing higs. You might be right, but I'm a bit skeptical after reading that.K

actually enemigo,i maybe one of the most sensitive headfiers to treble and when i bought the fx500,i thought excellent bass,unbelievable natural mids,the most fatiguing highs!but i burned them again and for about 100 hours gave them some time and to my surprise,the treble become fatigue-free and became very "sweet" with crystal clear highs.you shouldnt ignore them,they are one of the best iem available at this price range and IMHO they should be priced at $250-$300 as they actually deserve it and can compete favourably to the ie8(although i like the ie8 better for alot of reasons).read some more about them and you will see that 9 out f 10 people praise them,and if you buy them and dont like them you can always sell them hear and i think they will be pretty much sold quickly because they are demanded

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 40
The FX500's are getting a good deal of praise, but every once in a while someone is complaining, and it worries me a bit. Still, it's a serious contender and I'm searching for good deals on it.

What kind of music are you listening to midoo1990?

Will look into the Monster Turbine as well.

Hmm, no votes for my original suggestions?

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 40
I would recommend giving the Etymotics a try first. Many people don't like them and even hate them, but those who like them usually really like them. I am one of those people who was really impressed with the Etys when auditioning them. I've heard the HF2s and ER6is and was really impressed with both, but HF2 is clearly superior. ER4p and s should be even better. Not sure about HF5. Etys have a really controlled bass - more so than RE0 for sure and probably about the tightest bass I've heard from a headphone, save for Ultrasone PRO750.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 40
The HF2 has a mic, other than that it appears to be the same as HF5. Not sure though. I've read good things about the HF5, allthough I fear it might be a bit too analytical for my rock recordings of various quality. Anyone tried the HF2/5 on a 192kbps mp3 file ripped from poorly recorded rock?
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately I can't find the UE 700 at under $200 shipping included, that's a bit much at the moment.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 40
I listen to alot of trance,house,rock,country,pop,hiphop,metal and some classical but not much.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to alot of trance,house,rock,country,pop,hiphop,metal and some classical but not much.

C710, great resolution and stage, no lack of bass! I think it goes great will all genres above except country.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 40
My suggestion: save up some of your nickels, and buy used. Every phone that does what you want uses a second and third driver to do it.

Otherwise, the bass-heavy phones will blur the top octave, and the detail phones will be thin at the bottom. Just the nature of the beast.

That said, the Klipsch Custom 3 is retailing at around $180, and it's generally well reviewed. Watch for fit issues, though; I sold my Custom 2s for that.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C710, great resolution and stage, no lack of bass! I think it goes great will all genres above except country.

I'll add classical to that list. I didn't like the C710 with classical music. Nevertheless they were good all rounders. I think I'll join with mido1990 in recommending the FX500 as they have a slightly better transparency, clarity and air than the C710. They both have very good sub bass but I'd say the FX500s bass has a more organic texture with a tad bit more extension. It still doesn't have that bass impact as the C710s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back