Looking for 150-200$ DAC/Headphone AMP for Sony MDR-CD900ST
Feb 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

econsumer666

Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a not very expensive solution (DAC with Headphone amp) for use in the office. My current headphones will be Sony MDR-CD900ST. In fact I'd be happy with the sound from the onboard sound card but they have a big jack and I'm not sure the cable length will be sufficient so I'm ok with buying an amp for convenience and maybe some sound quality improvement. 

Should I just get Fiio-E9? It has ok reviews and is not very expensive, however I feel like I'm paying for this slot on E9 for Fiio-E7 which I do not need at all. Maybe anything else?

Thanks

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Fiio E7 for something low cost and portable.

But the Audioengine D1 is a nice upgrade at $169 , does async 96/24 from USB and supports 192Khz optical input. It also has a nice amp in it and is powered off the USB port. 

However if you ever wanna step up your cans to something with a higher independence than you'll need a better amp.

I own the Fiio E7/E9 combo and its fantastic but I'm stepping up to the Audioengine D1 at the end of the month since my 96/24 music collection is ever expanding. Keep in mind the Fiio E9 is ONLY an amp , it is not a DAC. It requires either the Fiio E7 or E17 or DAC via its line in port.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 6
I've been very happy with my Audinst HUD-MX1 - I think I paid around $175 with shipping. It started as my home DAC/Amp and is now at the office where I can listen to tunes 8 hours a day :)

It can drive low and high impedance 'phones - I was using it with my Sennheiser HD600s on the "low" setting and it was able to drive them without issue. There is a jumper setting you can set for higher impedance cans. It does 96/24 from USB and has two HP jacks so you don't have to mess with an adapter. You can also roll the op-amp if that's your thing.

What I liked was the fact it has a well reviewed DAC and you can use it as a DAC only if you decide to get a better HP amp.

It ships from S. Korea, but I think it only took 4 days to get here!

Here is a review which sums things up pretty well:  http://www.headfonia.com/audinst-hud-mx1-dac/

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 6
The USB input feeds the dock on the E9 which is where your E7 or E17 DAC would be docked.  This allows the E7 or E17 to act as a DAC and the E9 to act as an amp.  The USB on the E9 does nothing without an E7 or an E17 docked in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back