looking for 100$ (or less) MP3 player
Aug 9, 2007 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

IGL

New Head-Fier
sorry if its the wrong forum

I'm looking for a MP3 player thet will be able to amplify properly my AKG K81 DJ.
no need for more then 5GB, or anything else (radio, recorder...)
100$ is the limit so please try thinking about something in the 80~90$ area...

and as alweys, the sound is the most important consideration, so it should be able to play 320bit files...

thanks and sorry for the bad english (if it is
icon10.gif
)

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 22
I know you might need the extra features or space, but it sounds like you might be satisfied with the iRiver h320. It's been discontinued for several years now, but can still be found on eBay for around $80-110. A big plus is that it is compatible with Rockbox, which is an alternate firmware for many players including most iPods. I have an h320 myself and have used the k81s with it for several years. With minimal EQ to tame the bass, the cans sound great through the player. I also encode my mp3s at 320, just as a side note. Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 22
thanks for the reply, but-
sorry... i'm looking for something that i can bay not too far from my home (warranty stuff...), and all the normal iRivers are too expensive...

is there something else?
(i was thinking about may be some sandisk\ MS\ creatives player...)

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 22
Hi! you could go with a Meizu, there are many models with 4 gb or 8 gb. Alot of sale on such items in different stores, even Wal-themart sells them. I might get one for my daughter as she has low budget to put on player but want storage.

Also may go with the Sandisk that accepts SD cards. I do not have the brand number but it is under $100 2gb mem and it accepts 2GB cards.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 22
about the Meizu:
I found only the M3 (2 and 4 GB)
and it really can play FLAC?!
smily_headphones1.gif

about the sandisk:
do you think it will be enough for the K81?
(the available models that fit to my budget are E250, c250 and the 'express'. thay all have a micro SD slots...)

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 22
model: Meizu Music Card :2-4-8 gb Supports WMA, WMA VBR, WMA LOSSLESS, OGG, WAV, FLAC Playback

I don't think Sandisk supports Flac.

Raise your budget a bit and go with Cowon. The new i7 in 4gb is more than $100 but you would be in Cadillac, not a Lada like Sandisk.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 22
Why not go for the refurbished creative players. The 4 GB ZEN V Plus goes for $85, I don't think it supports flac though check to be sure. 4GB is kinda limited for flac and I don't think you can really hear a difference compared to an eac ripped 256-320 MP3s using a flash DAP and the AKG K81DJ, even more if you are on the go (the goldiest of the golden ears won't hear a difference with surrounding noise
tongue.gif
). Add $60 more and you get the Zen Vision:M 30GB, if you really want enough space for flac.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 22
You should go for meizu player.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
model: Meizu Music Card :2-4-8 gb Supports WMA, WMA VBR, WMA LOSSLESS, OGG, WAV, FLAC Playback

I don't think Sandisk supports Flac.

Raise your budget a bit and go with Cowon. The new i7 in 4gb is more than $100 but you would be in Cadillac, not a Lada like Sandisk.

the i7 4G costs about 180$ here... way beyond my limit
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not go for the refurbished creative players. The 4 GB ZEN V Plus goes for $85, I don't think it supports flac though check to be sure. 4GB is kinda limited for flac and I don't think you can really hear a difference compared to an eac ripped 256-320 MP3s using a flash DAP and the AKG K81DJ, even more if you are on the go (the goldiest of the golden ears won't hear a difference with surrounding noise
tongue.gif
). Add $60 more and you get the Zen Vision:M 30GB, if you really want enough space for flac.

surprise surprise... the ZEN V Plus 2G costs here about 120$
frown.gif

and 4G is more than enough... half of my music is 192bit, and FLAC is not realy important...
i don't need something fancy... i need something that sounds good and can amplify the K81...

for now you agree about the Meizu M3... the other models that fit to my budget are:
sandisk: E250, c250 and 'express'
creative: zen neeon 5G

sooo, what is the final verdict?
smily_headphones1.gif
(if you don't have anything else to add...)

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 22
Don't worry about amplifying the K81, even my sony ericsson handphone drives them to earblasting levels. Granted they are a bit harder to drive than earbuds and other portable headphones but nothing a half decent player can not handle. Here is the link to the refurbished creative players.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 22
I took a chance with a 4th Gen 40GB Ipod on that auction site. Was told it was not working, after a gentle tap, it works just fine...and for under 50 with accessories!

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 22
the thing is that i want to buy the player from somewhere close to my home because, as i wrote, i travel alot and stuff get broken, so using the warranty will be a problem if I'll bay from the net... (only the shipping will cost like a new player...)

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 22
The Meizu has pretty decent SQ, now that I've used my Samsung T9 more.... If the Meizu doesn't hiss in my rig, I'd give the nod to the Meizu for its juice and punch. I've sold it and now got the Samsung T9, which I find to be adequate. The larger soundstage and airy-er presentation fit the purpose (portable use). And my refurbished Samsung T9 is just about $60 or so for a 2GB.. fits your budget perfectly. Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back