Looking for ~$100 open “portable” headphones
Dec 21, 2018 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Darksair

New Head-Fier
TL;DR: What's the best open portable headphones for about $100? I have an HD650, am looking for similar sound.

Was an audiophile many years ago. Settled on an HD650 and a UM3X. I leave the UM3X at office for music enjoyment at work. But the problem is with it I cannot hear the outside (conversations, colleague calling me, etc.). So I need an open headphone at work to replace it. I'm looking for a similar sound (character wise, not quality of course) to HD650, and something easy to drive, for around $100. Ideally it's not too big and too fancy.

Earphones don't work. It's probably just me, but I have yet to find a single pair that fits my ears.

Bluetooth (are headphones with bluetooth good nowadays?) is a plus, but doesn't really matter.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 6
You want 650 sound for 100 bucks, or you just want a good sounding open, portable can for 100 bucks? The latter is feasible. If the 1st option exists, I'd love to hear what it is. My open portable of choice is the Hifiman Edition S. Though the two don't always go hand in hand.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 6
Original PX100, but more then $100 So I'm of no help.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Sennheiser HD 239. It was discontinued, but still available new on Ebay for ~$150, though maybe see if you can find one lightly used for less. I bought them for my wife several years ago and she still uses them. I was very impressed by the sound and thought the signature was very close to the HD 650. The build is less impressive, though.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 6
Well I would consider looking at the sennheiser 598s. They are just over 100usd and while they do not have the exact sound of the 650s they are very easy to drive and for this reason very portable. I have both the 650s and the 598s and find myself even at home listening to both. I enjoy the bass of the 650s a little more but I dont think that you can go wrong with either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back