Looking for $100 "all-around" headphones (Senn vs AD vs JVC)
Apr 21, 2010 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

turtowsteak

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

My old headphones recently broke and I am looking to pick up a new set. I plan on mainly listening to music (R&B, pop, hiphop, light rock) and watching movies with it, with some light gaming (Call of Duty 4, Team-Fortress 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead).. I'd say 65% music/movies and 35% games.

I'm looking for headphones that cost a maximum of ~$100 that don't need amps or anything else; I'd like to just buy the headphones and have it be done. I would also like to minimize sound leakage in case I'm watching a movie/playing games and my college dorm-mate is trying to study, I don't want to bother them. Comfort is also a big factor. I also am not a "bass-head," I don't like booming or excessive bass, I much prefer the music be clear and as "natural"-sounding as possible.

After some research I've narrowed it down to:
AD700 - lots of leak? more than HD555?
HD555 - leaking? not as good sounding as 700's? leak less than 700's?
HD280 - vs. JVC RX700/900?
RX700
RX900

Open-air headphones I feel are more comfortable but I'm sure they'll probably leak enough noise to bother my dormmate if he's trying to study.

Bottom line: AD700, HD555, HD280, RX900, or RX700 for all-around use with no need to buy other accessories (ie amps) and keep leaking to a minimum in respect to my dormmate in college. Other recommendations are welcome also. it'd also be nice for it not to be completely isolated from outside noises (I don't mind).. if my roommate is talking to me I want to be able to hear him instead of seemingly ignoring him or if the doorbell is ringing/someone is knocking on the door.

Also, Side-question: Are closed earphones worse for my hearing/have more adverse effects than open-air?

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 14
I say drop all of them and focus on either the AD700 or the Sennheiser HD 485 if you dont care about leaking sound. The Hd 485 is bassy, and more enjoyable for gaming than any of those listed. If you do care, thats a tough one. Accurate and what I feel to be decent gaming sound in closed back is not cheap.

For 100$-150$ I would not ever use anything but my Shure 840 for gaming. I play CODMW2 for the pc every day with my 840s, They've got that powerful neutral sound that I need to pinpoint what is going on. It is not exactly accurate per say, meaning if someone is around the corner shooting, the sound may be blurred and I cant figure out if it came from a more forward-left area, or just to the left. For the sound in general and music in the game, you've got lots of options. If you are looking for pinpoint accuracy, you are going to have to more than double your budget and go to open back, something like the HD 600 or 650 cant be beat for gaming

my point being, the Shure 840 and the Ultrasone pro 750 may be the best closed backs you can get under 200 bucks, and neither do a great job for gaming.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 14
open headphones are out because of leakage. cross hd555 and rx900 off the list. I like the sony v6 as a cheap all purpose closed headphone. hated the hd280(too colored) but vey good seal and isolation. hd25sp (I'm probably the only head-fi member that like these) also isolate well.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 14
@Nagasaki RX900's are open? They look closed to me:

Amazon.com: JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone: Electronics

Want to stay at most $100.. I wouldn't say I'm an audiphile I'd just like the best audio experience I can have for music listening, movie watching, and gaming for the price.

So I guess it's down to HD280, JVC RX700 (and 900?) for my list, with votes on Sony MDR and AT-M50 (is it this one: Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones: Electronics Any thoughts on the A700 (not AD) or D1000? (NOTE: I DON'T LIKE BOOMING BASS, I want the audio to sound as natural as possible, meaning no excessive bass)Any other thoughts/recommendations? Remember this is for music, movies, and gaming. I don't mind paying more for better quality (ex. paying more for the MDR if it gets me a bit better quality than the RX700's).. it'd also be nice for it not to be completely isolated from outside noises (I don't mind).. if my roommate is talking to me I want to be able to hear him instead of seemingly ignoring him or if the doorbell is ringing/someone is knocking on the door.

Also, Are closed earphones worse for my hearing/have more adverse effects than open-air?

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 14
jvc rx900 is semi open(mostly closed). personally I like the sony v6 as beater all purpose phone because of its tough construction and longevity. You can do better for under $100 like the jvc dx1 (haven't tried it personally but hear that it's great).kinda difficult to find one

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for the response.

I've narrowed it down to the Sony MDR-v6 and the ATH-M50s. The HD280's seem to have problems where it gets uncomfortable after a while due to the tighter fit for better isolation. So now its MDR-v6 vs. ATH-M50's for gaming + music + movie watching. Audio should be as natural sounding as possible (no excessive bass) and leakage should be kept to a minimum so as not to disturb my roommate when he's studying/sleeping.

*EDIT* Went with ATH-M50s.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by turtowsteak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response.

Went with ATH-M50s.

I'm doing the same thing as soon as I get the money. Let us know you think of em when they arrive
L3000.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 14
M50s are great all arounders (though not a big soundstage), while the AD700s offer incredible clarity for the price, and a huuuuge soundstage.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by turtowsteak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity what do cans like the M50 + AD700 have over the JVC RX700's? It seems the audio quality is not too far apart.. what justifies the $50 - $70 difference?

had them all- still have the m50

rx700 - beautiful bass, comfy, wide soundstage, but recessed mids and highs

ad700, huge soundstage, great highs and mid highs, recessed bass

m50 great bass, pretty good mids and highs. kind of comfy but can get hot. very balanced for its price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back