Looking at Triple.Fi 10 Pro ... Should I be looking at something else? <$300
Sep 19, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew.C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it depends. Have you tried other cables?

No but I have yet to see any posts that say another stock cable is any better. If anything I hear about fitting problems due to different pin lengths and diameters. I don't care to go anywhere near that to void the warranty. UE did not put a lousy cable on TFPro.

By all means tell me if there is better cable as I have not seen anything that says there is.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No but I have yet to see any posts that say another stock cable is any better. If anything I hear about fitting problems due to different pin lengths and diameters. I don't care to go anywhere near that to void the warranty. UE did not put a lousy cable on TFPro.

By all means tell me if there is better cable as I have not seen anything that says there is.

Well, Don't you trust your ears more than others people words?
There are Null, china brands which offer very good cable for the triples.
I admit Ue did not put a lousy cable on TF10 pro but other cables are just better. Here's a Review from Felix(MaoDi) on the Enyo cable which i'm using

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/nu...e-pics-444644/

I can't agree no more to Felix's review (Lows are deepers, quicker, and more powerful) ( Enyo puts the Mid on a more forward layer than before.)

Matthew

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #18 of 37
Interesting review. Can't say I ever saw it.

What IEM is a 10X3 ?

What about the pins? Is any modification, grinding etc., required or is it a completely flush fit like it was made for a UE product? To my understanding Westone cables don't perfectly fit UE products without modification.

What about sensitivity? Is that changed at all?

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

What IEM is a 10X3 ?

What about the pins? Is any modification, grinding etc., required or is it a completely flush fit?

What about sensitivity? Is that changed at all?

10X3 is a Custom Monitor made by JH Audio. The JH10X3|PRO. It's a Triple Driver, 3-Way crossover configuration. Resistance and Sensitivity should change a little bit as the cable itself is different now, but overall. It's around the same. Same level of volume setting on my source and amp.

No grinding or modification needed, the cable also fits Westone ES3X's. ...as i have that too.

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's around the same. Same level of volume setting on my source and amp.

No grinding or modification needed, the cable also fits Westone ES3X's. ...as i have that too.

You are talking Triple Fi Pro, right?

I like the bass already but you say this cable makes the presentation (and treble) a little crispier???

I would like that even more as I think TF10Pro is generally on the airy and dry side.

If this cable gives the treble more crispiness, quicker decay, and brings the midrange a tad more forward it will un-seat UM3X is (my) favorite universal IEM. I have them ranked pretty even right now with a slight nod to UM3X.

Thanks for the tip from everyone!! (I don't visit the "cables" forum so this is a new discovery for me)

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

You are talking Triple Fi Pro, right?

I like the bass already but you say this cable makes the presentation (and treble) a little crispier???

I would like that even more as I think TF10Pro is generally on the airy and dry side.

If this cable gives the treble more crispiness, quicker decay, and brings the midrange a tad more forward it will un-seat UM3X is (my) favorite universal IEM. I have them ranked pretty even right now with a slight nod to UM3X.

Thanks for the tip from everyone!! (I don't visit the "cables" forum so this is a new discovery for me)

I am not talking about the TF10. I'm talking about the 10X3 with stock and 10X3 with the Enyo, the efficiency is basically the same.

I'm not sure if custom cables fit universals, as i believe universals have a shorter prong and you will have to modify the cable.

Indeed, the Highs you receive a bit more "crisp" and speed, mids are brought forward with a more enriching sound. Lows are definitely more powerful. I'm not sure what affect it will have on the TF10, but most likely similar. I regard the UM3X above the TF10, i find the TF10 bloated in the lows, with the highs being a little irritating. I also like my mids, so i put the 530 and the UM3X above the TF10

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #23 of 37
Custom cables do not fit universals and vice versa. Modification is needed, although I've heard some people have managed just to push them into the sockets tightly, but I would recommend against this. Of course, Null Audio can make you a cable with custom plugs or universal. I just recently had a cable custom made by them and was able to choose every detail. I am getting my TF10s remolded and am getting the shells in white and black. I contacted Null Audio and asked if they would make me am Enyo cable with one white wire and the other black (with matching white and black plugs/connectors) to go to the corresponding shell. Of course, where the wires meet, they will be intertwined. I also asked that the plugs be for custom sockets. He told me none of this was a problem and didn't even charge extra for any of this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #24 of 37
Just got them today.

So far, they're promising. Initial impressions are favorable. My only complains at the moment are frequency response which I'll EQ and the cable has a lot of bend memory which can be annoying. Small things really. They have good transparency, imaging, range of frequency response. They don't really seem to do anything wrong specifically which is always good. Now I just need to find a way to EQ through my 2Move. I'm going to have to borrow some software from my brother. The onboard card is bypassed and subsequently the built in EQ. However, these are pretty easy to drive, so amping shouldn't be a major issue regardless. Fit is decent enough. I don't think I'll have a problem with size. I have no problem getting a seal with them, and they're decently comfortable for me over the ear. I may still grab a spare set of silicon guides from Phonak though just as an improvement, that and maybe a couple other tips. I'm using the stock foam, and they work just fine. It's a decently fun to listen to earphone straight out of the box though.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #25 of 37
I very much prefer SE530 over Triple.fi, but only when the fit is perfect. SE530 can change DRAMATICALLY depending on fit IMO. It can literally turn from worse than iBuds to the most amazing sounding IEM I've ever heard. Triple.fi is not affected by fit quite as much I think. If you can afford SE530 with some UM56 custom tips, than I highly recommend that you try it - it will give you a more neutral and natural sound than Triple.fi with some killer mids that Triple.fi just doesn't have.

BTW, I prefer my $99 RE0 over Triple.fi.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I very much prefer SE530 over Triple.fi, but only when the fit is perfect. SE530 can change DRAMATICALLY depending on fit IMO. It can literally turn from worse than iBuds to the most amazing sounding IEM I've ever heard. Triple.fi is not affected by fit quite as much I think. If you can afford SE530 with some UM56 custom tips, than I highly recommend that you try it - it will give you a more neutral and natural sound than Triple.fi with some killer mids that Triple.fi just doesn't have.

BTW, I prefer my $99 RE0 over Triple.fi.

GTFO!
mad.gif

(just kidding)

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #27 of 37
Running them without an amp and EQed a little bit. Once the low end is cut a little, things balance out nicely where the bass isn't bloated. It doesn't need much EQing, just a few dB, but it's still enough to get better results doing so.

It's impressive how little power these things need to operate. It's kind of bad though. On my laptop, I pick up electrical noises because the volume is so low. This isn't an issue bypassing the onboard sound using my 2Move, but I say bye to the EQ. Even the 2Move on low gain setting is barely above minimum for normal output levels.

I do need to get better tips though. The basic tips aren't terribly useful and the one foam is not the greatest I've used. I'm a fan of Shure's foams, so I may get those to fit with a little work.

I really do think a lot of the whining goes away once people can find a way to use EQs with their headphones...well, decent EQs that is.

I have no specific complaints at the moment other then frequency response, and I was spoiled by the Olives of past. After running the PFE and ER4S, I see the Triple.Fi as a product of improvement, fixing some of the shortcomings of the other sets. The top end is smoother and more extended. Bass is more extended and with better body. I think the PFE is still king of dynamics. The PFE is more effortless in range and super clean, more so then anything else I've run. It's just too clean in the sense that lower notes are also short and to the point, making bass oddly light. I do think that the Triple.Fi lacks a small amount in open/airy department. I could almost call it veiled, but it's not. It's not a "covered up" sound. The top end is a little light on crispness and edge though, and you don't quite get some of the bite that could be there. It's not bad really. I've just heard more and kind of know what it could be.

Hehe on the RE0 comment. I can't say the same Pianist. I'd rather run so many other earphones over the RE0, sadly. I'll say the RE0 does some things exceptionally. The frequency response is amazingly extended, and you can pick up information at 30Hz and at 16kHz which I can say 99% of the other dynamics can't do. Tonality is good and decently neutral and the frequency range smooth. I've heard hints of great sounds from it, but at the same time, it couldn't show amazing things all the time.

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balances armature and burn in used in the same sentence annoys me.

please don't start this. There is burn in for Balanced Armature drivers, though it's not a lot there is. Jerry Harvey agrees to this. But anyways, we're not going to start that war again about whether they significantly change or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back