Looking at the latest 160 GB iPod Classic
Feb 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GabCM

New Head-Fier
My current RockBoxed 4 GB Sansa Clip Zip with its 32 GB microSD card is about to be full of FLAC and MP3 files (mostly FLAC).

I was looking at different PMPs, and it looks like a 160 GB iPod Classic would do it for me, especially due to its huge space. I would use foobar2000's iPod support component instead of iTunes. I wouldn't Rockbox it. The thing itself would do it, and foobar would automatically convert my FLACs into ALACs before sending them into my iPod. The only thing is its price, so I'd wait a couple months before I buy one.

My phones are either the Sennheiser CX 680 during workouts or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for every other situation (most of the time). I mostly listen to various electronic music (notably UK Hardcore, Drum & Bass, Dubstep and Hardstyle, but a lot more as well) and I like bass, even if I like to hear the rest as well.

What I like about the Clip Zip I have and the Clip+ I had is that they sound really nice for their quite low price. I heard they even sound better than iPods, so that's why I'm making this thread.

I don't want to get a portable amp/DAC for that iPod. By itself, how the latest iPod Classic's SQ compares to the Clip+ and Clip Zip, considering my phones and my tastes? I want that much storage, but if the difference is that noticeably negative, I'd have to look for anything else.

EDIT: According to anothdr thread here, Rockbox seems to work well with the iPod Classic, excluding the ability to control the iPod from a dock. I'm considering Rockbox now.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
My current RockBoxed 4 GB Sansa Clip Zip with its 32 GB microSD card is about to be full of FLAC and MP3 files (mostly FLAC).

I was looking at different PMPs, and it looks like a 160 GB iPod Classic would do it for me, especially due to its huge space. I would use foobar2000's iPod support component instead of iTunes. I wouldn't Rockbox it. The thing itself would do it, and foobar would automatically convert my FLACs into ALACs before sending them into my iPod. The only thing is its price, so I'd wait a couple months before I buy one.

My phones are either the Sennheiser CX 680 during workouts or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for every other situation (most of the time). I mostly listen to various electronic music (notably UK Hardcore, Drum & Bass, Dubstep and Hardstyle, but a lot more as well) and I like bass, even if I like to hear the rest as well.

What I like about the Clip Zip I have and the Clip+ I had is that they sound really nice for their quite low price. I heard they even sound better than iPods, so that's why I'm making this thread.

I don't want to get a portable amp/DAC for that iPod. By itself, how the latest iPod Classic's SQ compares to the Clip+ and Clip Zip, considering my phones and my tastes? I want that much storage, but if the difference is that noticeably negative, I'd have to look for anything else.

EDIT: According to anothdr thread here, Rockbox seems to work well with the iPod Classic, excluding the ability to control the iPod from a dock. I'm considering Rockbox now.

If you are in the market for a hard disk based DAP, you might want to have a look at the Cowon X7. Cowons sound quality and their sound shaping tools, blow the iPod away.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

If you are in the market for a hard disk based DAP, you might want to have a look at the Cowon X7. Cowons sound quality and their sound shaping tools, blow the iPod away.

Looks like a good option to consider, but after research, I've found that people say the Cowon X7 sound better than the iPod Classic, but that the thing itself is not that convenient to use, especially when it comes to playlists, which I really like to use. Also, I can't find any place to buy it in Canada (or that ships to Canada). I've found nothing on Last.fm support. I really like that site, and one thing I really like about Rockbox is that it has Last.fm support. I'd also use my next PMP at the gym, and the iPod Classic seems to have the sports accessories I like.

I'm really just looking for something that sounds about as good as my Clip Zip, but with a huge capacity and, as a bonus, Last.fm support. If a Rockboxed iPod Classic does all of that, I'd take it over the Cowon X7.

But still, thanks for the suggestion!

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 6
One other thing I would say is that I would be wary of using hard disk based DAP's for the gym and workouts.

Hard disks do not like being banged about. You might be better getting a solid state based player for use when in the gym and a hard disk based player for elsewhere.

You are aware of course that your Clip Zip will take both Rockbox and a 64Gb card? I know this because my Clip Zip has this setup.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
One other thing I would say is that I would be wary of using hard disk based DAP's for the gym and workouts.

Hard disks do not like being banged about. You might be better getting a solid state based player for use when in the gym and a hard disk based player for elsewhere.

You are aware of course that your Clip Zip will take both Rockbox and a 64Gb card? I know this because my Clip Zip has this setup.

Right, it seems there's a way to use a 64 GB microSD card with my rockboxed Clip Zip. I'd try that as it seems to be an overall cheaper and safer solution.

I thought of having 160 GB to forget about space, but if it becomes a problem for working out, then I'd skip that.

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Right, it seems there's a way to use a 64 GB microSD card with my rockboxed Clip Zip. I'd try that as it seems to be an overall cheaper and safer solution.

I thought of having 160 GB to forget about space, but if it becomes a problem for working out, then I'd skip that.

Thanks.

64Gb cards tend to come pre-formatted as ex-FAT, you will need to reformat them in a PC first as FAT32. After that, they work a treat 
biggrin.gif

Some versions of Windows will refuse to format cards larger than 32Gb as FAT32, but there are plenty of third party (free) utilities that will do so. One such tool is 'Partition Wizard 7 (Home Edition)' but there are many others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back