Looking at some new IEMs! Totally new into the audio world :D
Nov 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #16 of 31
I hope the part about the a-Jays Four having the same driver as the a-Jays One is wrong. See http://www.gadgetmac.com/gadgetmac/jays-a-jays-four-in-ears-review.html They were going at 21.44 GBP over at http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Jays/In-ear-Headphones including shipping the other day. BTW, some people in the forum say flat cables aren't any more durable, if not less so.

Another model to consider is the JVC Victor HA-FXT90 with dual dynamic drivers. I got them from Amazon Japan, forwarded by vPost. The vPost bit was a pain though. S$35 for that because Amazon left lots of air space around the actual box and vPost charges by volumetric weight. Still, they're my favourite pair now.

Quote:

I believe the A-Jays Four has the same driver as the A-Jays One, in other words the A-Jays Two and Three are the better sounding ones.

In your price bracket there's lots of options, I recommend to you the Audio Technica ANC23, Etymotic HF5, Shure SE215 and Sony XBA-1.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #18 of 31
Hmm, thanks for the comments guys!!! Really surprised there are so many Singaporean audiophiles here :D Will get down to Stereos later to take a listen at the Jays Four, GR 07 (Not sure if they have it), TDK BA100. And if the latter earphones sound a lot better than the Jays Four for the extra, I will very well jump on the more expensive ones :) As I have my ATH M50s at home, and doubt any IEMs below 300 can stand up to it. So this new IEMs are for good SQ on the go with the looks :). Will post my decision and opinions later, if I manage to get my hands on them :)

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Another model to consider is the JVC Victor HA-FXT90 with dual dynamic drivers. I got them from Amazon Japan,

Yup, they're pretty cheap right? I want to check them out but the Sony XBA-1/2/3/4 series is coming soon.

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
Was looking at the Etymotic phones as well. Are they worth looking into? The eartips look extremely uncomfortable. Currently floating towards the Jays Four for its look (looking at the white one) and cheapest price.

Please help.

I have the Etymotic HF-5s and they are really neutral sounding. They are also very revealing, so you might really love these since you mentioned you want detail. I do find the HF-5s to sound thin at times, though.

As for the fit, they took me a week or two to completely get used to the deep insertion. Because of the deep insertion, you also get insane isolation.

Got these for about $95 USD, IIRC.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #22 of 31
Nov 27, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #23 of 31
Nov 27, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
For that price, I would recommend Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, though rather hard to find and shipping time will take forever (I received mine after 6 weeks)

yeah, those are great headphones, but don't expect them to last longer than half a year, also they might be easier to get since you live in Singapore

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #26 of 31

Quote:

In the case of the Etymotic ER-4PT, it turns it into the ER-4S, which sounded much better than the ER-4PT in my opinion. I can't remember exactly the difference in signature, I think it opened up the highs and increased resolution.

I see that this adapter has been around for a while - I wonder if anyone has tried it with a HF-5 before. I'm really curious now...

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #28 of 31
Back from Stereo :) It was an AWESOME STORE!!! Service was up there (with Qisahn.com) and the entire auditioning thing was new to me, it was like being at a buffet :D 

Anyways, tried the TDK BA100, Jays Four, Jays Three, EB 950, UE 600, ATH AD700 (just for fun), GR07 (more on this later). Amazing the attendants were so tolerant with me swapping out one by one.

In terms of sound quality, I have to say the TDK BA100 was simply brilliant, everything was clear, the bass was decent, clear music w/ decent bass, That's exactly what I want. But, it just felt extremely fragile in my hands, and the design wasnt really likeable :frowning2:

The Jays Four actually surprised me the sound quality was actually pretty good, as I always thought the brand was style>function like Monster Beats. But amazingly, the clarity was there, though the bass was a bit muddled, vocals were great (big plus). The Jays Three didnt sound as clear as the Jays Four and the bass was more intrusive, than the Fours.

The EB 950 was the worst out of all that I tried. One of the tracks that I used to test was one of my favs "Alibi" by 30SecondstoMars and the vocals were better than the Jays, but when it reached the climax of the songs when the cymbals started blaring, Jared started shouting, the cymbals & the drums overwhelmed the 950. The cymbals in particular was extremely blaring (not sure how to describe this), I had to take em off 10 seconds into the climax as my ears started to hurt real bad, when the Jays and the BA100 handled that part with ease. and the cable was extremely fragile from the way I felt it as well.

The UE 600... How can I describe this? Brilliant. As I expected from the UE IEMs, the clarity was amazing, and it just sounded good. The bass wasnt boomy, the highs and mids were spectacular, the lows were decent enough. Out of the songs I tested, "Nightmare" by A7x, "Baby" by Bobby McFerrin, "The Abandoned" by Memphis May Fire, "Alibi" and "Night of the Hunter" by 30stm, there were some phones that didnt sound as good as the other, like the Jays sounded better in Nightmare and the Abondoned than the BA100, while the latter did better in Baby and Alibi. However, the UE600 didnt mess up on any of the songs that I tried. None. It was great, all around, there wasnt a single part in any song when I thought "Ouch, my ears hurt." or "I think xxx sounded better" It was just pleasant music, it might not be accurate, but it just sounded good. But then when it comes to my extended UE experience, 1 thing which I hated was the extremely loose ear tips, and sure enough, like the previous 2 earpieces I used it was extremely loose. No big deal as the cable seemed alot better than the TDK phones, and it was cheaper as well. 

And that was when a man with a GR07 around his neck came by, to test out some HD800s. Out of curiosity, I asked if I could try them on, he gladly allowed me to. and MY GOD. It was amazing, everything lit up, the sound was warm, the soundstage was amazing, the bass was very well-controlled, the details was controlled amazingly. It didnt make my music anymore exciting by accentuating the bass, but everything was balanced, and as a stage singer, this was exactly what I was looking for. As I gingerly returned it to him, I thought about it and told myself,  I found my calling. And decided to get a cheaper pair of earphones before saving up to get that. Then, the salesperson saw my dilemma and told me he would give me a further discount over the Jays Four which was already 20 dollars off to 80 dollars. I nearly cried when he said that, and it was a done deal, for 85 dollars, the Jays was unbeatable at that level tbh. Amazing store, again, amazing store.

Will get back to you guys with a further review on the Jays Four. Really interested in the audiophile world now :D

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #30 of 31
^glad to hear about your experience! enjoy ur hoot and jia you saving up for the gr07
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back