Looking at some new IEMs! Totally new into the audio world :D
Nov 26, 2011 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

harrylks

New Head-Fier
Hi, have been looking into head.fi forums for a while now, and it helped me make my decision in purchasing a ATH M50s, then a Xonar STX (ouch!). 

Now I am looking for a new pair of earphones as the previous pair that I had, Ultimate Ears 400vi (or the 500vi as it is now known according to UE) had died on me. Standard stuff, wire was too weak, broke at the connection point to the jack, now right side is dead. It has been used for nearly a year, and sadly is out of warranty as it is a replacement unit for another UE model which was discontinued that I bought about 2 years back?

I am looking at the UE 600 (no need for the vi anymore). And what I am looking for isnt bass, what I want is details, and an allrounder. No need for crazy bass or any of that sort. And durability. 

I was looking at the UE 600, Kilpsch s4 and the A Jays Four.

And according to some of the threads here, there are durability issues with the S4's cord, and the UE as well. The Jays seem to be the best looking and has the most durable cable.

Do you guys have any opinions or impressions with these 3 earphones? Asked for suggestions over at OCN, and they werent much help tbh, so I came here to the pros. :p I live in Singapore and will be buying them off this site.
http://treoo.com/store/index.php/main/shop-by-brand/beyerdynamic/premiumline.html and would love to have suggestions about the same price range :) 100-150. If stuff is better and cheaper, that will obviously be fine. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 31
Was looking at the Etymotic phones as well. Are they worth looking into? The eartips look extremely uncomfortable. Currently floating towards the Jays Four for its look (looking at the white one) and cheapest price.

Please help.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 31

Quote:
Was looking at the Etymotic phones as well. Are they worth looking into? The eartips look extremely uncomfortable. Currently floating towards the Jays Four for its look (looking at the white one) and cheapest price.

Please help.

Check out the GR07. I think you may like that IEM.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 31
Sadly a quick google shows that it is above my price range. My 100-150 is Singapore Dollars :frowning2: 

And it isnt sold on the site I listed on the first post as well :frowning2:
http://treoo.com/store/index.php/main/shop-by-brand/beyerdynamic/premiumline.html

Is it okay to ask you to help me recommend something around the prices of the Jays Four, UE 600, Klipsch 4s? Or is it possible to ask you for your opinion on the best out of the 3? 

Thanks for your help though.

Listed price for the 3 earphones:

UE 600: S$129.00 (S$119.00 after provided 10 dollar coupon)
Klipsch 4s: S$116.10
A-Jays Four (White) : S$98.00

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 31
u might wan to go down to stereo (ion orchard/plaza sing) to audition a few iems in that range. the tdk ba100 could be a nice candidate since its on promotion n under $150 now. actually, i do wonder how clieos thinks about them. personally i hate the design, but other den that the sound is great :)

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 31
Hmm never heard of TDK to be honest. Are they that much better than the A-Jays Four? cos it is a whole 50 dollars more expensive, and the design isnt really to my liking, just like you :p

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
Hmm never heard of TDK to be honest. Are they that much better than the A-Jays Four? cos it is a whole 50 dollars more expensive, and the design isnt really to my liking, just like you :p

if u go to stereo's facebook page u'll see that they're having a 20% off the retail price for it... (= $159 - 20%)

anw both the tdk n a-jays have flat cables. the flat cables are the part that i dislike lol. microphonics are very terrible, unless u wear over ear. no idea abt a-jays four since i nv try b4. u should really head down to stereo n take your time to audition.

oh regarding the vsonic gr07, they are selling at lendmeurears.com (also at plaza sing) for $203 now (promotion). best $53 u'll ever top up. lol

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 31

I believe the A-Jays Four has the same driver as the A-Jays One, in other words the A-Jays Two and Three are the better sounding ones.

In your price bracket there's lots of options, I recommend to you the Audio Technica ANC23, Etymotic HF5, Shure SE215 and Sony XBA-1.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
if u go to stereo's facebook page u'll see that they're having a 20% off the retail price for it... (= $159 - 20%)

anw both the tdk n a-jays have flat cables. the flat cables are the part that i dislike lol. microphonics are very terrible, unless u wear over ear. no idea abt a-jays four since i nv try b4. u should really head down to stereo n take your time to audition.

oh regarding the vsonic gr07, they are selling at lendmeurears.com (also at plaza sing) for $203 now (promotion). best $53 u'll ever top up. lol

The GR07 discount doesn't apply at plaza sing I thought? You can always go there to try them then go home and order though haha. the discount ends at nov 28 2359h though!

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 31
You could just go to Jaben, tell them your price range and just audition whatever IEMs they recommend to you. Amazing service there, although I'm probably just reiterating the opinion of most Head-Fi'ers here. :)

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 31

Quote:
You could just go to Jaben, tell them your price range and just audition whatever IEMs they recommend to you. Amazing service there, although I'm probably just reiterating the opinion of most Head-Fi'ers here. :)

Hate jaben for their bas customer service. Dont buy things there, buy it from stereo or online. You will be much happier. Trust me :D

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
The GR07 discount doesn't apply at plaza sing I thought? You can always go there to try them then go home and order though haha. the discount ends at nov 28 2359h though!

oh i guess so, since it would probably be troublesome to update pricing with the toy outpost. too bad alr got mine at $217, although still worth it regardless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back