Looking at some ~$70 earphones/IEMs, need advice!
Apr 6, 2009 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AZ Greg

New Head-Fier
OK, here's the deal. I'm looking at some earphones/IEMs around $70. I'm not too picky, in fact, I'm more of a budget audiophile who can appreciate quality sound that beats the garbage packed in with most devices. To get an idea of this, my best pair of headphones right now are the PX100s, which I'm completely satisfied with, aside from their portability, which is why I'm here now. These new 'phones will be used primarily with my PC and iPod Touch. And probably more with videos than music (I'm thinking 70/30 in favor of videos). Also, I would like a "Y" cable.

So here's what I'm looking at:

- Audio Technica ATH-CK7 ($66)
- Etymotic 6i/ER6i ($76)
- Shure SE110 ($66)
- Shure E2c ($70)
- Denon AH-C551K ($57)

Considering my fondness of the PX100 sound (Yes, I know I may not be able to get that sound with earphones/IEMs) and the use these headphones will be for, which do you guys recommend? Finally, feel free to recommend another model I may have missed, but please, keep it at or below $70 if possible.

Thanks guys/gals!

Edit: One last thing, I own a pair of Creative EP-630s (or maybe 640?). They're ok, but I'm hoping for more out of the ones I'm looking at above. Will I get a nice improvement with those over the Creatives?

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NE-7m

X2

An excellent IEM good bass midrange and treble.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 10
x4.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Hmmm, hadn't heard much about the NE-7Ms. I did a little reading about them and they seem highly regarded for the price. The mic is a nice addition as well (Will work great with the various Skype apps).

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 10
Sorry I can't say jadormdrache as I have not used the altec IEM myself.

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 10
PK2s or PK3s if you don't NEED isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back