Looking at Sennheiser wireless Headphones
Jun 21, 2001 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AndrewB

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had a chance to play with Senn's -40 or -60 wireless sets. I was looking into them for the office. There are none local for demo'ing.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Peace,
Andrew

Jun 22, 2001 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 7
I got a pair of RS-60's for my dorm room listening and I have been for the most part very happy. They sound decent and are very comfortable. The do not sound nearly as good as my Grado 225's, but the comfort and conveniance make up for it and you have to be fair to the headphones since they are wireless also. I do not think you can go wrong if you are using it at work.

Jun 22, 2001 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 7
I have a pair of Sennheiser RS-60s which I bought from www.headphone.com (very good service). Before I had the Senn RS-4s which I sold after 2 weeks. The RS-60s are okay with me. They totally satisfy my needs for watching TV or movies, listening to the news, or music, or following a film without interruptions while you go around the house, cooking, or just going to the john. Perhaps, you will enjoy its main benefit if you're following well-scripted movies, ones with superb soundtracks, action flicks or great dialogue forums from TV. I can move about my seat, stand, roll, grab a sandwich or coke without losing the source. It is good for cable movies or TV where you won't be able to rewind something that you missed. I have this Sennheiser Lucas/HD 580 combo but lately I am using the RS-60 with the Lucas for movies. The RS-60 is not as detailed as the Senn 580s but sticking to my needs, it works well with me. My Lucas is connected to my inexpensive ProArt equalizer, which is hooked to the headphone jack out of my Denon pre-amp. What I do is enhance the highs with my equalizer, switch the Lucas to Dolby Pro-Logic mode, and turn ON the SRS spatializer of my RS-60, and man, you get a good surround sound, and you feel you're inside a movie theatre. The voice is dead center, and the soundtrack or background sound is separated effectively. The RS-60 could use a little help on the highs, that is why the equalizer is there.
But IMHO, the setup works just fine. I have enjoyed watching movies/TV using this setup than my 5-speaker setup, especially at night! The sound is crisp (with the equa) , with a good bass bottom sound to support. I can always go and take a jingle without missing Pacino's great verbal romp in "Scent of A Woman", or 1900's fabulous stomping of the piano keys as he went on to beat legendary pianist Jelly Roll Morton in "Legend of the 1900". The spatializer is cool; it gives a sense of laid-back ambiance to the sound, without destroying it.

Sound: a) Music, good for the average listener; Not So, for the
HeadKnights or Headwhiz kids.
b) Movies: Very good, with the SRS spatializer. Best, with
the likes of Sennheiser DSP Pro (Lucas). Soundtracks
are clear.

Battery: NiMH, 4 hours usage, 12 hours charging time. Two
slots, one at the transmitter base and one on the
headphone. I have 5 batteries, so no problem.

Comfort: Velour pads, very comfy. Same like the 580s, yet smaller.

Price: US 175

Well, for critical listening to music, don't use it, if you have better headphones. I use my Grado 225s for rock/pop and Senn 580s for the classics. But for movies and doing about the house, the RS-60 wireless setup grabs it well, faster than you can say Jackie Robinson.

Aug 25, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 7
I have had no success with my RS-85. I can not hold the signal. I cuts in and out when I turn or tilt my head by even just an inch. I have even contacted Sennheiser tech support and all their advice has not helped. It seems as if there is too much radio interference in my area of San Diego, CA. I bought these 85s from LCDTV,com for $158.95. I have read in other sites that this is a common problem with the RS line of Sennheisers so I am fairly sure it is not me. I am still waiting for a reply from Sennheiser to see what my options are. I am not trying to scare anyone off but this is my current situation. I think for now I will stick to wired headphones like HD 595 or RS125.
plainface.gif

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 7
I have the RS-140's for my bedroom home theatre. I use them all the time and like them quite a bit for TV/ Movie watching. There can be some static/feedback in certain areas (interference from my wireless network?) but none in most areas. I can walk about 40 feet with very tolerable reception (through walls). I have not really tested them with straight audio.

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 7
RS-60s here too. I'm pretty happy with them. They are comfy if your ears fit in and sound very decent for wireless. Groundnoise (don't know how to call it in english) is very low if you choose a good input volume/headphone volume combination.
Power is never a problem because they last long with one rechargeable and you always have another one at charge in the basestation.
But I think the old models are discontinued.

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the RS-45 and the audio signal cable to the charging dock is very unreliable, why they couldnt just use a mini to mini lad ive no idea, but unplugging it a few times to use at lans left it very fiddly to get to work. The signal is pretty good, but the sound quality is simply dreadful, thin, sucked out and no matter what you feed them itll sound like worn cassette tape. For anything except when wireless is a must, i think im better off with a alternative like an extension cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back