Looking at Sennheiser Momentum on ear. Is it worth getting for 100?
Nov 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

nanosniper

New Head-Fier
Hello Audiophiles,

I am looking for some headphones for christmas and was wondering if getting the on ear version of the momentum is worth the 100$.  i have seen mixed reviews about it and was wondering if it would be a good choice for some portable listening/longer listening.  i have some MDR-XB700, so i have bigger cans that i can listen to at home.  So i was wondering if they are a good deal for portable listening and after a long burnout session and break in session, could they fit the easy listening bill like their over ear predecessor?  Thanks 

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 28
they sound completely different from the momentum. the momentum on ear is extremely bassy and it can get loose and bloated very often.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 28
I recommend the ATH-M50x. Those sound much better balanced and are more comfortable. My momentum on ear review can be found in my signature or at my blog (headphonereviews101.blogspot.com) and i also have an ATH-M50x review coming up.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 28
Yes definitely. Being a fellow Sony XB fan, i think youd feel right at home with the Momentum On Ear, and youll be surprised at how detailed they are in comparison. For $100 snatch em up

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 28
I am looking for a more portable headphone to take over apple earbuds around a college campus. I would like it to be comfortable, be able to listen for a extended period of time, have good sq, and be a decent price. I really want the over ear momentum but the price tag is too high. So comfort, portability and almost a netual tone. I have looked at a bunch of reviews of both the MON and ath-m50. The reason I didn't ask about them was how big and some people say the highs can be sharp.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 28
I am looking for a more portable headphone to take over apple earbuds around a college campus. I would like it to be comfortable, be able to listen for a extended period of time, have good sq, and be a decent price. I really want the over ear momentum but the price tag is too high. So comfort, portability and almost a netual tone. I have looked at a bunch of reviews of both the MON and ath-m50. The reason I didn't ask about them was how big and some people say the highs can be sharp.

You want neutral tone? Are you sure? In that case Momentum On Ear arent it. They have big bass, aggressive highs and laid back mids. They thump quite a bit, even more than the XB700, the XB700 will still have more rumble to them, but its surprising how close it is considering the size difference.

As an aside, usually neutral tone works better for home use and the more bassy stuff for on the go since you lose bass response due to outside noise, etc.

I think your best choice is gonna be the Vmoda M-80, they are going for really good prices($110 on amazon last i checked, used ones for much less) they are more neutral but still good bass and a terrrific value.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 28
I would like a less aggressive tone than the MDR for longer listening comfort.  I was asking about these because they have a cheep price.  I will look up Vmoda.  I saw some reviews on it but wasnt sure.  i like the look of the MOE, are their any cans that have similar sound to the M over ear? that dont exceed the 200$s

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 28
looking at some reviews, they say the soundstage and quality is a little bit better on the MOE. i will love whichever one i get because i am not as picky due to not owning expensive headphones.  l like clarity but not too sharp, i like some bass but (i have my MDR for the house music) it should not overpower the vocals, and i dont have to have neutral sound, just not unbearable treble.  

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 28
Treble on Momentum on ear isnt shy and neither is the bass, they are very aggressive headphones. M-80 is going to have the more relaxing sound, with much better vocals and smoother treble. Its just better balanced without skimping on the bass, VModa is a better value and is ultimately the better headphone all things being equal. Momentum on ear is more consumer oriented

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 28
Yea, i figured it was.  I dont want muddy sound and some reviews said that the m80 had some muddiness to the mids and rolls off the highs.  i enjoy all types of music but i listen to house and some indy more than the rest.  a review on here said that the bass can get better after a lot of burn in time.   

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 28
Indy, mids are important. MOE doesnt have any lol. Sounds like youre set on the MOE, i described the sound and if youre ok with that then by all means $100 is a good value for them. Vmoda bass and mids balance is outstanding though, treble is indeed rolled off.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 28
I hope im not coming across wanting the MOE, they just seem like they are better headphones.  i recently listened to Bowers & Wilkins p7 and liked their sound, but the price tag is too high for my tastes.  i wish best buy carried them so i could try them out, can you compare the MOE to the XDR's any?

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 28
As odd as it sounds, I would just save the money and go with the Sony MDR-ZX100's. I know, they are cheap, but they are real beaters. I have sat on my pair at least 5 times, no permanent damage. Also, although i have not tried them, the MDR-ZX600's are apparently quite good. You can get them at around $50. Just my  two cents about the situation. Hope i could be of help.

edit: The ZX-100's have AMAZING sound quality for a sub $20 pair of headphones.
~Lot~ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back