Looking at SE846 gen2 and alternatives
Jan 18, 2024 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

m4rkw

100+ Head-Fier
I’m considering buying some high-end IEMs at some point later this year. Shure SE846 gen 2 look like a good option but I’ve seen a few people say they aren’t very competitive so looking for other recommendations.

My use-case is entirely non-professional, just music and movies/tv. I mostly listen to EDM and tend to prefer a slightly V-shaped response but I doubt this matters much as everything in this category will be tunable. I previously owned the SE535LTD and loved their sound signature, especially the mids.

I don’t think ACS make custom moulds for Shure anymore but I’d probably be looking to get those made somewhere as I don’t get on well with the stock Shure tips due to having very narrow ear canals. Ultimate are possibly a good option with this in mind as they can make customised IEMs. Also looks like Shure have a recommended supplier for custom moulds so would probably go that route if going with Shure.

I will probably get the Shure wireless adapter as well.

Suggestions welcome

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Suggestions welcome
CFA are in that price range ......... #evil ... as is the Symphonium Helios.

Would you consider second hand? That would open up your options greatly if you could extend to the 64Audio / LegendX / actually many options that tier.

To be honest, for movies and TV, I just connect the Apple AirPods Gen 2 to the appleTV. You can even connect more than one set concurrently if you're watching with a partner.

What are you driving them with?

The Shure's are not 'bad'. I loved the Shure 530/535's so much I replaced two or three pairs when I was a youth as I thought they were the bees knees with my Sony WM-FX671. For a high school student/college student, that was God tier for me. But yes, there's an abundance of other brands and chi-fi and you could probably do better.

I'm sure you could do better than stock tips. Try SpinFit CP100 or someone with more experience than I do could recommend one that will work for you. I prefer XElastec or Crystal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back