Looking at picking up a new set of cans for around 200-600(US) to pair with a tube amp.
Jul 12, 2011 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DaggothReborn

Head-Fier
I have been using my entry Audio Technicia A700s, and loved them. I picked up a set of AKG K702, as was very very disappointed. (only had about 30 hours burn in) but I have decided I like closed cans more. I was looking at the Denon D2000 or D5000's really hard, but I was recently told to pick up a pair of DT770 600Ω. Here are the main artists I listen to: Eminem, Elton John, Eric Clapton, some Classical, Tool, some Dubstep, and Metallica. And most of the stuff in between there. So I guess hip/hop, classic rock, some electronica, and newer rock. Keep in mind, I will be pairing these with the Schiit Valhalla, which is a tube amp, and I would like to keep the price around the $400 mark. I can pick up the 770's 600Ω for a little under $300 shipped. But then again, I see some D5000s and D7000s going used for around the $550 mark. But I have been reading that the Valhalla is kinda overkill for a D5000. Not sure :xf_eek:

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Heya,

Get the DT990 600's if you're looking at Beyers. You won't even realize they're open-air because they have the response and bass richness that closed phones have (the DT770's you're looking at).

What disappointed you about the K702's? Impact? Bass-lacking? It's a detail oriented analytical headphone. Maybe you need something neutral to neutral/bassy?

Very best,

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 7
I actually wound up buying the DT770s about an hour ago. Got them shipped with 2day for 197 bucks from headroom. Felt that was pretty hard to pass up. The K702s had absolutely NO bass at all. None. I know i was told they had to break in for 100-300 hours, but i wouldn't risk passing the date when i could return them for a free refund. My A700s had bass out of the box. Not saying I'm a total bass head but i want to at least have a little out of the box.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I actually wound up buying the DT770s about an hour ago. Got them shipped with 2day for 197 bucks from headroom. Felt that was pretty hard to pass up. The K702s had absolutely NO bass at all. None. I know i was told they had to break in for 100-300 hours, but i wouldn't risk passing the date when i could return them for a free refund. My A700s had bass out of the box. Not saying I'm a total bass head but i want to at least have a little out of the box.

Heya,

Well, get ready for some oumph then. You'll notice a stark difference in increase in bass ability compared to the A700 and K702. DT770's are excellent. All the Beyer's really are fun to listen to. Enjoy!

Very best,

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 7
I had much the same question a couple of months ago. My father owns' a pair of 990's 600Ohm, and I was not to impressed with them. I felt like the spikes in the highs were going to destroy my hearing. I ended up going with some used Denon AH-D5000's. I have been very happy since.

Might I add, for his headphones being open, they don't leak very much noise!

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #7 of 7
Humm. :) 

well i feel like im going from basic entry level cans to a midrange headphone. Im very excited either way, plus i saved 300 bucks. :)

And if i dont like them, i can always return them :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back