Looking at lots of headphones and would like opinions and help
Oct 19, 2018 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bose301s

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a long list of headphones I am looking at and they have a large range in price.I am looking for some comparison and advice. My baseline is that I have a pair of SoundMagic HP150 that I love and tried the NAD HP50 and while they did sound good they sounded recessed and dull to me, almost as if they had a veil over them or was listening through a layer of foam, the highs just didn't have the clarity or sparkle that I like with the SoundMagic, that said here's my ridiculous and long list. I plan on using them with my iBasso DX150 with stock AMP6.

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee - $149.99
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX - $199.99

Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX - $169.99
HiFiMAN HE400S - $299
HiFiMAN HE400i - $449
HiFiMAN SUNDARA - $499

iBasso SR1 - $499

Mr. Speakers Aeon Open/Closed - $799

You guys are awesome and I hope you can give me some insight into this list and what may work for me.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm assuming you want to switch to an open back? I haven't heard the Sundara, but based off what I've read, if I had the coin - I'd grab em.
I have both the 58X and 400S. Never heard the Soundmagic, so I can't compare. I prefer both the low and high end of the 58X. Mids are close, but I'd probably have to give that to the 400S. The treble on the 400S is a little hot for my taste. I've heard people say the 58X is V shaped, but I disagree. It's fairly balanced for the most part. I think the soundstage on the 400S is a little wider. The 58X is way more comfortable. You might find the 6XX is a little dull. I'd go for the 58X personally. It's my favorite headphone currently on my rack.

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 14
If bass is important to you, the only HiFiMan on your list that I would consider is the Sundara. All the others lack bass, as do both Sennheisers. If you aren't familiar with open headphones, none have great bass - even the Sundara - unless you are willing to spend some serious cash, but the Sundara is the best on your list. I have not heard either Aeon, but reviews are fairly consistent in recommending the closed ones over the open ones.

Here are a couple of resources you might like...

https://www.rtings.com/headphones - their frequency response graphs, and the ability to compare two headphones/graphs is really helpful.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/ - his descriptions of sound signature are also helpful.

If you want to save some money, use code "welcome46" on this site when buying...

https://audio46.com/ - no, I'm not associated with them in any way, other than as a customer. Read their return policies, as they are fairly strict. They'll work with you on the first return. After that, it can get expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 14
From what I have read open headphones are a bit more open sounding. I have no problems with closed headphones as I love my HP150, but just thought I would give open a try. I do have a dealer for the Aeon relatively close so I will try and give them a listen.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 14
From what I have read open headphones are a bit more open sounding. I have no problems with closed headphones as I love my HP150, but just thought I would give open a try. I do have a dealer for the Aeon relatively close so I will try and give them a listen.

There's a reason almost all high-end, critical listening headphones are open, and once you hear a pair of good ones, you'll want them. They sound especially good on acoustic, vocal, and classical music. Careful... This can get expensive. :)

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 14
The 58X does not lack in the bass department. If you're an avid basshead to extreme measures, it likely won't satisfy. The 58X hits plenty hard for an open back imo.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 14
I'm assuming you want to switch to an open back? I haven't heard the Sundara, but based off what I've read, if I had the coin - I'd grab em.
I have both the 58X and 400S. Never heard the Soundmagic, so I can't compare. I prefer both the low and high end of the 58X. Mids are close, but I'd probably have to give that to the 400S. The treble on the 400S is a little hot for my taste. I've heard people say the 58X is V shaped, but I disagree. It's fairly balanced for the most part. I think the sound stage on the 400S is a little wider. The 58X is way more comfortable. You might find the 6XX is a little dull. I'd go for the 58X personally. It's my favorite headphone currently on my rack.
I bought my HD58X a few month back, been using them every day :)

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 14

Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X.
Later on you can buy $500 headphones.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 14
So I have a long list of headphones I am looking at and they have a large range in price.I am looking for some comparison and advice. My baseline is that I have a pair of SoundMagic HP150 that I love and tried the NAD HP50 and while they did sound good they sounded recessed and dull to me, almost as if they had a veil over them or was listening through a layer of foam, the highs just didn't have the clarity or sparkle that I like with the SoundMagic, that said here's my ridiculous and long list. I plan on using them with my iBasso DX150 with stock AMP6.

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee - $149.99
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX - $199.99

Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX - $169.99
HiFiMAN HE400S - $299
HiFiMAN HE400i - $449
HiFiMAN SUNDARA - $499

iBasso SR1 - $499

Mr. Speakers Aeon Open/Closed - $799

You guys are awesome and I hope you can give me some insight into this list and what may work for me.

HE400S. You'd barely need an amp over the Amp6 too, just get a 2.5mm balanced cable.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 14
First let me start by saying that Aeon Flow are great headphones, I own them and have no complaints about the what they bring to the table but more often then not I find myself reaching for my HD6xx or LCD 2 Closed depending on whether or not I am going to use my tube amp. At the Aeon Flow price range you can pick up the LCD 2 Closed and get an amazing bass range with really good mids and highs. The mids and highs are not as crisp as Aeon flow but overall, to me, the LCD2 Closed is the better headphone.

Attachments

• rig3.jpg
    rig3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 14
I will tell you from first hand experience that the LCD 2 Closed are heavy headphones, but, it isn't as though they are so heavy as to make them uncomfortable. I personally enjoy the size and weight of these headphones. The Aeon Flow on the other hand are light as can be which to be quite honest is a negative in my view. Being a larger man I always feel as though I am going to snap them in two if I am too rough on them or drop them. The LCD 2 closed are not the kind of headphone you are going to go running or even walking around town wearing. But then again, I wouldn't wear my Aeon flow or hd800s as I ran errands simply because of their cost. Point being, yes, they are large, and some might call them heavy (I don't but again, I am not a small person) but they have great sound and are crazy comfortable. I for one can wear them all day (and have) with no problems. If you you have a problem with heavy headphones than these are not for you, if weight is not an issue, then pick them up, you won't regret it.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #14 of 14
I see you're looking for open headphones, and I'd like to help, but first could you please provide your budget and preferred genres of music to listen to? These two factors are what determine most of my recommendations (well...in addition to open vs closed)

Uses / Reasons to get each headphone you've listed:

58X Jubilee - Good clear sound quality. Alternative would be an AKG headphone (K701 at this price point?)
6XX - Slightly cleaner reference sound (read: close to a "flat response") good for classical music etc. with a lot of instrumentation. Alternative brand would once again be AKGs.
HiFiMAN HE4-- (any in this series) - Great for electronic music, upper treble issues for multiple models, but can be eq'd easily. Also good for live performances.
HiFiMAN SUNDARA - Decent all-rounder, alternative would be the "Advanced Alpha" at this price point. Personally, I prefer the Advanced Alpha, but own the Sundara at the moment.
iBasso SR1 - Honestly I don't know this one. Sorry.
Mr. Speakers Aeon Open/Closed - Cheaper alternatives to the ZMF line-up. Feel a bit artificial to my ears, but quite enjoyable if you don't feel/hear the same thing. Well known for good reasons. The closed version of the Mr. Speakers Aeon and ZMF closed headphones are some of the best closed headphones you'll find for all genres.

Please let me know if you require any additional information or advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back