Looking at decent full size Headphones at the $150 price range (canadian dollars)
Jun 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MetalGearEH

New Head-Fier
I am looking into some decent headphones in the $150cdn range that will get me good sound being plugged right into my laptop (HP g4-1167ca) or Sony mp3 walkman (NWZ-S545). POff the top of my head 2 choices i currently have are the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or the Shure SRH940.

I am not an expert audiophile by any means but I can tell the difference between good and bad. I am expanding my knowledge on audio day by day.

Of those 2 options which do you think is better for me? I like an accurate sound that is fun to listen to. I listen to basically every genre of music from rock to soundtracks and classical. And jpop and jrock.

Thanks in advance for any help from the knowledgeable audiophiles on this site.

P.S. I know the 940s are shelf price are actually more around the $300-$350 range in Canada but I can get them for around $110 to $150 with where I work.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 9
The Shure SRH 940's will need an amp.  Since you can get them a very low price, that is probably the way to go.

The SRH 840's will probably work well enough without one. 

The recessed mids of the M50 will not fit very well with some of the music you enjoy.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Sorry to be contrary but the 940's do not need an amp but will benefit from one when you can afford it. I use mine directly from my iPhone all the time.

At $150 I would jump on the 940's but that's because I love their signature. I find it works great for classi rock, alternative rock, psychodelic rock, folk, jazz, classical, accoustic, country... I think it woks with most genres. Where it is not as good is genres with lots of bass like electronic stuff, dubstep etc. if you want to hear all the details of your music go 940.

If you want a bassier sound that is more v shaped (midrange is a bit subdued) go M50.

If you want something in between go 840.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 9
wow interesting as I also use an iphone 4. But I also listen mostly at lower volumes which may be part of why we hear them differently from the same DAP

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Sorry for the late follow up guys. Been working a lot the last couple days. Thanks for the answers so far.

Would and how would the 940s benefit from an amp. A Fiio E7 for example.  They are for listening on my laptop. Oh and i found out my discount on the 940s isn't as great anymore. They would now cost me $180, same as the M50s in Canada.

Again I listen to most every genre. The ones i least listen to being rap and hip hop. I also listen to video game soundtracks for example the Austin Wintory Journey soundtrack.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 9
sorry but it seems contradictory to me to say fun and accurate at the same time. m-50's are fun fun but not accurate to what the producer made. this gives them the term "colored sound" the 940's are accurate which means they're neutral. if you can get the 940's for that cheap, go for it whether you have an amp or not. you'd be much more pleased with an amp, though

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
sorry but it seems contradictory to me to say fun and accurate at the same time. m-50's are fun fun but not accurate to what the producer made. this gives them the term "colored sound" the 940's are accurate which means they're neutral. if you can get the 940's for that cheap, go for it whether you have an amp or not. you'd be much more pleased with an amp, though

Yeah you are right it does not make a lot of sense. So the 940s are still worth it at $180. Would the fiio E7 be a good enough amp for the 940s?

Thanks for the help. and yeah accurate is definitely most important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back