looking at buying Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Jul 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

jakebot

Head-Fier
Anybody own them or have anything good or bad to say about them. i think they're going to be first pair of nice headphones, what do you think?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 43
I don't own these but I was researching them a little while back. Said to have good bass impact if that's what you're looking for, good for DnB and other bass heavy music. Also they are not amp dependent which is another bonus.

They are listed on ebay for $100 or best offer, I put an offer of $90 in and he returned with a counter offer of $95 so I suggest you buy it from them with that same offer.

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 43
I do own them. Today arrived at my place. My first initial impression (coming from listening to grado HF-2) is that these cans are really nice. Very comfortable and great clarity!

I have listened to them very little, now gonna make an extended listening through my Cowon D2 (currently listening at HF-2), and will see how they go.

EDIT: My initial listen with them was with Little Dot I+ using computer system, but getting in a few days a SS amp. Looking for clear sound without distortion (low THD, that is).

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own these but I was researching them a little while back. Said to have good bass impact if that's what you're looking for, good for DnB and other bass heavy music. Also they are not amp dependent which is another bonus.

They are listed on ebay for $100 or best offer, I put an offer of $90 in and he returned with a counter offer of $95 so I suggest you buy it from them with that same offer.

i have been looking at them as well this company put a straight cable on them as well

NEW Audio Technica ATH-M50s Headphones AT ATH-M50 s M50 - eBay (item 350221294999 end time Aug-02-09 01:48:33 PDT)

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do own them. Today arrived at my place. My first initial impression (coming from listening to grado HF-2) is that these cans are really nice. Very comfortable and great clarity!

I have listened to them very little, now gonna make an extended listening through my Cowon D2 (currently listening at HF-2), and will see how they go.

EDIT: My initial listen with them was with Little Dot I+ using computer system, but getting in a few days a SS amp. Looking for clear sound without distortion (low THD, that is).

you're almost speaking a foreign language to me. haha
i just enjoy good sound at a good price. i was thinkin of getting a headphone amp possibly. i don't want/need a portable one and i'm not looking to spend much. i have heard good things about the Yuin Q1 and Q2

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're almost speaking a foreign language to me. haha
i just enjoy good sound at a good price. i was thinkin of getting a headphone amp possibly. i don't want/need a portable one and i'm not looking to spend much. i have heard good things about the Yuin Q1 and Q2

Why is that?
jecklinsmile.gif

Maybe I expressed myself in a strange way, might be because I am listening to music and enjoying it, so I focus my attention there.

To make things clear, I listened to them for a few songs, liked it on my first listen. Now I will make another listen with a portable player. Once I make up my mind I can come back and tell you what I think of these, after I have listened to more music with them.

Getting back to my world of music and insanity!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Why is that?
jecklinsmile.gif

Maybe I expressed myself in a strange way, might be because I am listening to music and enjoying it, so I focus my attention there.

To make things clear, I listened to them for a few songs, liked it on my first listen. Now I will make another listen with a portable player. Once I make up my mind I can come back and tell you what I think of these, after I have listened to more music with them.

Getting back to my world of music and insanity!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

right after the Cowon D2 is where you lost me i don't know anything at all about headphone amps high quality sources or anything like that. other than that i got you. how comfortable on your head do they feel compared to your other phones?

also what music do you listen to?

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 43
I'm about to pull the trigger on these cans as soon as I get the money. Should have it by tomorrow.

But yea I have heard great reviews about them for the bass and mids. Looking forward to it.

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right after the Cowon D2 is where you lost me i don't know anything at all about headphone amps high quality sources or anything like that. other than that i got you. how comfortable on your head do they feel compared to your other phones?

also what music do you listen to?

After the Cowon D2, I meant that at the time of writing that post I was listening to the Grado HF-2, but after listening to them I would listen to the ATH M50.

They feel comfortable. Very soft pads, I opened a bit the head band, so it would not clamp my head, and they are not heavy. Easy to adjust. The grado sr225 is the most lightweight I have.

The connector (1/8'' with a 1/4 jack to screw on top) is solid and good quality.

I listen to Metal, Jazz and Classical. Some rock and electronic, but very rarely, when I feel like changing.

My Cowon D2 can drive these headphones with ease. Listening at volume 10 right now (I am a low volume listener).

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 43
The M50's are sweet. I bought them for DJ'ing, which they aren't exactly built for...either they don't mate well with my dj rig or cans tuned for studio monitoring take away something needed for beatmatching.

HOWEVER, uut of all the cans that I have tried, they are the sweetest sounding for general listening purposes. I haven't really found a genre of music that they don't like. The one thing that that I've read about them that I also found to be true is that they aren't very forgiving of low bitrate music. I definitely got the most out of them listening to .WAV or 320kbps mp3 files.

No amp necessary as far as I can tell. I got the perfect sound I wanted just by tweaking the iTunes equalizer a little bit.

Also, the bass is ridiculous, especially at first before they start to burn-in. I love me some bass so I have no issues. All of the people on Gearslutz saying that they sound like a pair of studio monitor speakers are right on. Compared to the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's, the bass is definitely more like a quality loudspeaker than what I think people refer to as "punchy" bass in a headphone, which is how the DJ1 Pro sounds to me (at least before substantial burn-in). The bass DROPS on the M50's. Almost sounds like I'm in my car.

Hope that helps. I'm not the most insanely technical person when it comes to this stuff either (still learning).

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

After the Cowon D2, I meant that at the time of writing that post I was listening to the Grado HF-2, but after listening to them I would listen to the ATH M50.

They feel comfortable. Very soft pads, I opened a bit the head band, so it would not clamp my head, and they are not heavy. Easy to adjust. The grado sr225 is the most lightweight I have.

The connector (1/8'' with a 1/4 jack to screw on top) is solid and good quality.

I listen to Metal, Jazz and Classical. Some rock and electronic, but very rarely, when I feel like changing.

My Cowon D2 can drive these headphones with ease. Listening at volume 10 right now (I am a low volume listener).

thanks for the input i appreciate it.

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cknelson15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M50's are sweet. I bought them for DJ'ing, which they aren't exactly built for...either they don't mate well with my dj rig or cans tuned for studio monitoring take away something needed for beatmatching.

HOWEVER, uut of all the cans that I have tried, they are the sweetest sounding for general listening purposes. I haven't really found a genre of music that they don't like. The one thing that that I've read about them that I also found to be true is that they aren't very forgiving of low bitrate music. I definitely got the most out of them listening to .WAV or 320kbps mp3 files.

No amp necessary as far as I can tell. I got the perfect sound I wanted just by tweaking the iTunes equalizer a little bit.

Also, the bass is ridiculous, especially at first before they start to burn-in. I love me some bass so I have no issues. All of the people on Gearslutz saying that they sound like a pair of studio monitor speakers are right on. Compared to the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's, the bass is definitely more like a quality loudspeaker than what I think people refer to as "punchy" bass in a headphone, which is how the DJ1 Pro sounds to me (at least before substantial burn-in). The bass DROPS on the M50's. Almost sounds like I'm in my car.

Hope that helps. I'm not the most insanely technical person when it comes to this stuff either (still learning).

alright. you sold me on them. i'm going to be ordering them on thursday or friday from

NEW Audio Technica ATH-M50s Headphones AT ATH-M50 s M50 - eBay (item 350221294999 end time Aug-02-09 01:48:33 PDT)

thanks everyone

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 43
good choice as far as i'm concerned. the m50 also were my first serious full headphones to pair with my cowon d2. i never regretted this decision. i listen mostly electronic stuff and some punk and the m50 are perfect for both. they sound good without amping but i found that they sound more precise with an amp even if its the cheapo fioo e5. moreover the m50s react good on eq-ing. the only bad thing is that now as i'm enjoying proper headphones for the first time, i'm constantliy thinking what more expensive headphones would give me...

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 43
My M40s (one notch below the M50s) are so good that I prefer them to all of the other phones I have tried, including many much or expensive models, among them ATs own AD900s.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 43
congrats, man. you'll dig 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back