Looking at a new DAP, but....
Jul 19, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that the part of the rip that transfers to portables? I was under the impression that AAL creates two rips -- one lossless, for the PC only (no Sony devices currently support playback of the lossless component of the rip) and one lossy for transfer to Minidisc. At least that's what I've read on the Minidisc Community Forum at Minidisc.org...

Here's what happens:

Pick a song and rip it. (ATRAC)
The Song will be ripped to a folder on the PC.
Then, you must transfer said song onto player of choice (minidisc/HDD/flash)

In essence, SonicStage doesn't do a "direct-rip" per-say, instead when you wanna put a song on your DAP, it is simply copied from your collection.

For MP3's, its a little different.

Import MP3 into SonicStage
Select Mp3 and hit transfer
SonicStage will convert the MP3 into an ATRAC (.oma) file, this file is then placed onto your hard drive AND your player. You can specify SonicStage not to do this, or to delete the copied file from your HDD once the transfer in complete.
(hint: with models after the HD-1, you import straight Mp3's w/o converting them)

Hope this explains it!

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what happens:

Pick a song and rip it. (ATRAC)
The Song will be ripped to a folder on the PC.
Then, you must transfer said song onto player of choice (minidisc/HDD/flash)

In essence, SonicStage doesn't do a "direct-rip" per-say, instead when you wanna put a song on your DAP, it is simply copied from your collection.

For MP3's, its a little different.

Import MP3 into SonicStage
Select Mp3 and hit transfer
SonicStage will convert the MP3 into an ATRAC (.oma) file, this file is then placed onto your hard drive AND your player. You can specify SonicStage not to do this, or to delete the copied file from your HDD once the transfer in complete.
(hint: with models after the HD-1, you import straight Mp3's w/o converting them)

Hope this explains it!

I've been using MD and SonicStage for a little over ten years, so I pretty much know the drill. Incidentally -- SimpleBurner, unlike SonicStage, does actually copy CDs directly to the portable, without adding it to the library on the PC.

Recent Minidisc units, including the RH1, also transfer MP3s without transcoding to ATRAC.

But my point is that the lossless component of AAL rips is for playback on the computer only. When you transfer to a portable after importing to SS under AAL, the file transferred to the Minidisc is lossy ATRAC. A lot of people (me included) were very disappointed to learn this; I was really looking forward to being able to get lossless onto a 1GB MD.

Sony was not at all clear about the distinction between files that AAL creates for the PC and files AAL creates for transfer to MD. Which to me suggests that their marketing people still haven't figured out how to get out of their own way. Steve Jobs should tithe part of his income to a retirement fund for Sony executives. It's the least he can do after Sony virtually handed him the keys to the kingdom.

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #18 of 19
If you can get the HD5, by all means go for it. I had nearly 20 GB of ATRAC lossless for my HD1 and it was a pain to decompress everything.

You also get the uniqueness factor
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #19 of 19
darkangel, know that synergy is key.

If you like detailed/bright/aggressive phones, then the ZVM would definately suffice. Its bass impact + slightly veiled signature neutralizes some of the harshness and gives it just a tad of warmth. This warmth is not 'color' exactly as neutrality is most definately preserved.

The HD5 on the other hand will present you with a more biased, more colored presentation.

As for the Zune, I think any headphones would pair well with them as they are quite neutral. Vocals are somewhat recessed in some songs so I'd suggest getting phones with ample midrange for best results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back