Looking a cheep good sounding mp3 player?
Aug 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DeltaX5

100+ Head-Fier
My cowon D2 is acting funny. when it goes into power saving mode it just turns off. The thing is very old. I am going to miss it.
Just looking for something cheep and sound good.
just looking for listing music and needs some sort of LCD screen so i can select the music i want. video playback isn't needed since i can just use my phone for that.have some sort of fm radio would be nice to.
at the moment im using koss KSC75 headphones with a fiio E5 amp.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 16
The Sanza Clip + is cheap, and sounds good.  Has lots of issues (like the UI is rather pedestrian, 2 year old firmware with issues and no updates, poor support from manufacturer, FM performance is so-so, and so on), but it hits your bullet points, and if cheap good sound wins you can't do better.   I'm in sort of a tolerate/hate relationship with mine at the moment, but then I'm used to iPods and iPads.  My big issues are glitchy firmware, no AAC support, and it's just a bit too tiny.

Install Rockbox if you'd like to add nice features and complicate the heck out of your life.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 16
Clip Zip (rockboxed) is quite good and is cheap to try.  You may find the sound more lean / less thick when compared to Cowon E2 (I hope both cowons have similar sound).  I enjoy both.  

Can you try replacing the battery for your Cowon?  May be it will give a new lease of life.  There are couple of threads and youtube videos on this.

Cheers.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 16
the player has full power. well the bar says it does. when it goes into power saving mode it just shuts down.

so everyone agrees with the sandisk sansa clip zip?

it's on sale at tiger direct should i pick it up or should i get something else.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8010513

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 16
DO you guys think I should go for a more expensive mp3 player. all my songs are in mp3 format anyways. most are 320bit or something like that, got some 128bit and so on in there to. My gut says do it but the fact that it may be worse then my d2 bothers me. what you guys say.
I think ill be using it in the car to since it has a aux also usb.
also to note the product is refurbished. I bought a couple of stuff from them refurbished worst things that happen were a crack or needing a new power cord witch were a year a 2 after i bought them but they still work i guess.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 16
Why not look into the Cowon D3, X9, or Z2, and maybe even the Sony F805/806/807 while you are at it?  Although they are not necessary cheap or cheaper than your D2, but they sure sounds great out of the box.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Clip Zip won't be any worse then your wearing out Cowon D2 sound quality, it will actually have a wider soundstage and more clarity, even take a look at the Clip+ model which some prefer over Sansa's Zip then instal rockbox. Although there are better options out there, I'd give the Sansa a try and see what you think IMO, you came here looking for a cheap MP3 player and the Sansa's have it. If you've never tried one before now is your chance.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Clip Zip won't be any worse then your wearing out Cowon D2 sound quality, it will actually have a wider soundstage and more clarity, even take a look at the Clip+ model which some prefer over Sansa's Zip then instal rockbox. Although there are better options out there, I'd give the Sansa a try and see what you think IMO, you came here looking for a cheap MP3 player and the Sansa's have it. If you've never tried one before now is your chance.

+1.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
The clip zip has very clear sound, but its also very thin. There's no weight or realness to the sound IMO.

The Rockbox EQ can help with that.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 16
Well thanks for you post but i found my problem. My problem was that in the settings in timer, auto off was set to 1 min. I thought of this when i was going thou the settings of the sensa clip witch i bought because of this and seen a power savings mode. looking for something simaler on the d2 i found that the timer was set to 1 min..sigh. I bought a battery for no reason. ohh well.
works just fine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back