lookin for great clip ons--need help
Sep 18, 2003 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Im looking for a good pair of clip on earphones and I was wonderin if you guys reading this could help me out. Im looking for something comfortable that I can wear for a long time for like long plane rides. I also want something with really good sound quality where it sounds like I am at the concert in person. Im also looking for something that just looks flat out kick ass. Something that just looks really cool. Im lookin at the Audio Technica ATH-EM7's but I wanted to see what other people thought of them before buying them. So if you could fill me in with some info or other great clip ons I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Quote:

ahh just chillin and listenin to great music....the life for me

Sep 18, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 8
If you're looking for 'phones that would be good for long plane rides...most earbuds' sounds will be drowned out by the plane engine. If plane rides are your thing, look for a pair of in ear phones such as the Shure E2 or the Etymotic 4P/4S but be prepared to kill your wallet.

Sep 18, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 8
I agree with MaxHeifetz's statement about isolation of in-ear phones such as the shure and etys for plane rides--the sound from open phones(ie all clip-on phones) would be drowned out by the sound of the plane's engines. If you still want clip-on phones, though, the de facto standard is the Koss KSC-35. I love them so much I bought two pairs. I've never tried the Audio Technicas, although I have heard they are nice albeit weak in the bass department.

P.S. Pretty much the only place to find the KSC-35s is through Koss.com and as far as I know the only way to get ATH-EM7s outside of Asia is to order from audiocubes.com.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Welcome to Head-Fi, Dan. I'm in agreement with both Patrick and Max........clip-ons do not isolate very well at all, and that Etys or Shures are your best bet for those long plane rides. To my ears, the sound quality of the Etys is far superior to that provided by either the KSC-35 or ATH-EM7, both of which I have.
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Just to show how poorly KSC35's isolate, I had to take them off at the gym because I kept hearing the gym's music in addition to what I was listening to on the iPod. Luckily I also had my Shure's with me. After a while, I was in a world of my own.

For quiet environments, the KSC35's give awesome quality for the price. Like joelongwood has said, they would probably be drowned out by engine noise on an airplane. Some Shure's or Ety's would be your best bet. With the isolation, you won't have to turn the music up too loudly and thus protecting your hearing.

Sep 18, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 8
hey thanks for the help guys! But Im still wondering if the Audio Technicas are a good you know overall earphone.

Sep 18, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman
hey thanks for the help guys! But Im still wondering if the Audio Technicas are a good you know overall earphone.

They are a very detailed sounding 'phone, but the lack of bass can be annoying. I've found that my old-school Aiwa MD provides the right amount of bass to make the ATs sound balanced to my ears.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 8
you see i am a guy who a) loves to listen to music, b) loves great sound quality, and c) loves earphones that look breathtaking--
So if you guys are saying that the Audio Technica ath-em7 lack a bit of sound quality, then maybe you could fill me in on some other earphones that also look kick ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back