Look what you did! You made me want to replace my DT831's!
Sep 10, 2006 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

thrillmetoo

100+ Head-Fier
Spending way too much time on Head-fi led me to believe I could do better than my Beyer DT831 for closed cans. So I made my way to several shops for a serious listen and first of all, to check out on the AKG 271.
What suddenly struck me most however is the poor (read: cheap) general quality of the cans of the new era. Senns like HD595 or HD25, AKG´s like 171 or 271 for instance, appear very fragile and look like they can be had for $9,99 from Toys'r'us. You know what they cost. Do you realize that for each one of these cans you can buy at least four DVD players? Now THAT'S technology for you. Then you see value for money. Well I put the 271's on anyway and find they were rather comfy, gave good isolation and did sound rather good. But still the construction put me off. Every time I moved my lower jaw (you know, when talking or chewing) or moved my head, these cans make noise due to the cheap materials. When listening on a low level, this annoyed me. All in all, they made me appreciate my Beyers (DT831 and DT880 pre 2005) so much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back