Look what the fedex man dropped off today...
Apr 7, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #17 of 36
Could you please elaborate?

I was toying with the idea of getting one of them due to their great Sound/Space ratio but they might be used most of the time on a V20 -> K1000 setup. I'm not sure if that setup is an headphone or an almost-speaker one. Perhaps the Opus won't work that well there?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Man, those look exactly like the one I used to own, which I've sold.

I'd be interested in comparisons to your other sources, the APL 1000 and SACDMods.

You might find, like I did, that Opus21 is wonderful for headphone setups more than for speaker setups..

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 36
Oh my!!! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
orphsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Man, those look exactly like the one I used to own, which I've sold.

I'd be interested in comparisons to your other sources, the APL 1000 and SACDMods.

You might find, like I did, that Opus21 is wonderful for headphone setups more than for speaker setups..

Hmm interesting so far it sounds fantastic in both my speaker and headphone setup. Haven't had a really good chance to compare it to the apl philips but I should have time this weekend to do so.

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #20 of 36
Tkam,
I am very interested in this beauty and definetely considering it against may be a Wadia 830, 301, or 302.
I have a few question for you:
- have you auditioned other CDPs before buying it? What are your impressions?

I am planning to use it in an unusual way: It will be used both for my speaker rig and headphone.
For headphones I am planning to use W5000 and RS1 unbalanced directely out of the analogue out of the Opus 21; HD650 with Equinox balanced cable out of the XLR of the O21. I have seen several threads from Alwayswantmore and Jazz about by-passing head amp and using a direct connection out of a Wadia 830. I believe the O21 should be able to do the same. Have you tried direct connection with headphones? How do you compare it as opposed to with an head amp?

I am also planning to use it as a DAC, connecting my iRiver to the digital input. I believe this is a coaxial and I am not 100% sure if it is suited for all sort of digital inputs or only for 2-channel DVD playback in PCM mode. Also, my iRiver has only an optical out; do you know if it can be used via a optica/coaxial cable?

It will replace my MF x-ray v.3 in my speaker rig (feeding Unison Unico and Totem Arro); may be later on I will get a power amplifier to replace my Unico, but not in the near future, as I am still really enjoying it.

If you or somebody else can shed light on it I would really appreciate

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Tkam,
I am very interested in this beauty and definetely considering it against may be a Wadia 830, 301, or 302.
I have a few question for you:
- have you auditioned other CDPs before buying it? What are your impressions?

Don't have much experience with Wadia's (i've heard the 861 and 302 a couple of times) but I really prefer the natural, somewhat organic sound of the Opus 21 to what I would call the slighty cold sound of Wadia's. Check the audiogon forums I believe there are a few comparisons between the Opus 21 and Wadia 302 there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
I am planning to use it in an unusual way: It will be used both for my speaker rig and headphone.
For headphones I am planning to use W5000 and RS1 unbalanced directely out of the analogue out of the Opus 21; HD650 with Equinox balanced cable out of the XLR of the O21. I have seen several threads from Alwayswantmore and Jazz about by-passing head amp and using a direct connection out of a Wadia 830. I believe the O21 should be able to do the same. Have you tried direct connection with headphones? How do you compare it as opposed to with an head amp?

I am using it with my speaker and headphone rig as well, direct to my power amps from the RCA's and to my headphone amp from the XLR's. I have not tried balanced headphones directly out of the Opus 21 but it is something I might try in the future. I see no reason why it wouldn't work as well as people have reported it working with Wadias.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
I am also planning to use it as a DAC, connecting my iRiver to the digital input. I believe this is a coaxial and I am not 100% sure if it is suited for all sort of digital inputs or only for 2-channel DVD playback in PCM mode. Also, my iRiver has only an optical out; do you know if it can be used via a optica/coaxial cable?

Yes the digital input on the Opus 21 is a coax input. I've been using it with my EMU 0404 sound card as a source with pretty good results. There are optical to coax converters that you can buy but I have no first hand experience with them.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #22 of 36
Thanks a lot Tkam, I will follow your impression with extreme interest, please be a hero and keep posting.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Don't have much experience with Wadia's (i've heard the 861 and 302 a couple of times) but I really prefer the natural, somewhat organic sound of the Opus 21 to what I would call the slighty cold sound of Wadia's. Check the audiogon forums I believe there are a few comparisons between the Opus 21 and Wadia 302 there.

Good to know you prefer the O21, as it cost almost half price here in the UK

Quote:

I am using it with my speaker and headphone rig as well, direct to my power amps from the RCA's and to my headphone amp from the XLR's. I have not tried balanced headphones directly out of the Opus 21 but it is something I might try in the future. I see no reason why it wouldn't work as well as people have reported it working with Wadias.

You can also try non balanced headphones out of the RCA or the XLR output with the right connectors

Quote:

Yes the digital input on the Opus 21 is a coax input. I've been using it with my EMU 0404 sound card as a source with pretty good results. There are optical to coax converters that you can buy but I have no first hand experience with them.

I'll get one of this connectors and give it a try when I'll go for the audition

May 1, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #24 of 36
I've really been enjoying the Opus 21 since I purchased and I think I've spent enough time with it now to comment more on its sound.

The Opus 21 is the most engaging and lively source that I've owned. It has excellent dynamics and excels in the PRaT department. I actually think its dynamics and PRaT are the Opus 21's strongest points but there is even more goodness
smily_headphones1.gif

The Opus throws a wide and deep soundstage and its imaging and seperation within the soundstage is incredible. Each instrument has it's own point in space and proper air around them yet retains their part in the overall cohesive sound.

Treble is airy and open with very good detail level and resolution. Cymbals have just the right amount of sparkle and shimmer and never get fatuiging. The past two days I've probably listened to it 8 hours a day without any fatigue.

The midrange is another real strength of the Opus it's resolving and really smooth. The midrange has an organic feel to it, vocals sound so natural and realistic. The real key to a strong midrange is how the transitions between the treble and bass are. The Opus really nails this the transitions are seemless and perfectly balanced.

The Opus has tight and punchy bass that easily reaches the lowest registers. Bass impact is good but I'd like a little more. It does make up for that by being quick and handling transients very well.

To wrap things up I'll say that the Opus is an engaging, organic and natural sounding player with PRaT in spades. It also has the added bonus of having a spdif coax input that supports upto 24-bit 96khz input. I've been using the coax out from my emu-0404 with very promising results.

I'll post some comparisons to my APL Philips SACD1000 in the near future.

May 1, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

I have not tried balanced headphones directly out of the Opus 21 but it is something I might try in the future. I see no reason why it wouldn't work as well as people have reported it working with Wadias.

The Wadia has 15 ohm output. I believe this unit to be 100. I am not qualifed to tell you whether or not this difference matters
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #26 of 36
Yep 100ohm is the output impedance of the Opus 21. It'd be fine for senn's and other high impedance phones but will probably make lower impedance phones a little bassy or muddy sounding.

May 1, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Yep 100ohm is the output impedance of the Opus 21. It'd be fine for senn's and other high impedance phones but will probably make lower impedance phones a little bassy or muddy sounding.

Yes, 5.5 Vrms at 100ohm.
What about giving it a spin with the HD650 balanced and the L3000 single ended?
I am very anxiously waiting and thinking of buying this if they sound good.

Quote:

It also has the added bonus of having a spdif coax input that supports upto 24-bit 96khz input. I've been using the coax out from my emu-0404 with very promising results

Could you please elaborate your impression on the digital input?

May 1, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #28 of 36
Do I see a CD title starting with the words Def Jam??

Amen!

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #30 of 36
I'm reviving this thread because I'm also interested in getting this particular player. I would actually mainly be listening to it with my upcoming speaker system and this player is intriguing because it can double as a pre-amp.

If TKAM could comment on how his sounds through his speaker system that would really be great. Oh and whether he's using a pre-amp or not would be especially helpful. Of course, anyone else is welcome to answer.
icon10.gif

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back