Look what showed up today ....
Mar 8, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #16 of 33
Great looking cans man.
eggosmile.gif
I recently did a slight mod to my 325i...I need to take some final pics...no wood involved though.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #17 of 33
those look really awesome, Im interested in putting one of those lambskin headbands on my 80s. Does anyone have any pics with a distressed leather headband? The pics on the site dont show too much detail.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HeadCoverage web page is a little broken. I get a "404 Not Found" error when clicking on "Custom Cables".

Your modded SR-80s look great Earl. I'm tempted. How do they compare to your MS-2i's?

The MS2 still has a tighter bass with more impact. The wood 80 has a softer bass with more texture. The MS2 is more tonally neutral and brighter sounding; the wood 80's warmer. But, the wood 80's have more instrument seperation and the soundstage is wider. The wood 80 is not as upfront and seems slightly more set back and dimensional. I wont say the wood 80 is more refined but the presentation is smoother and more at ease.

Interestingly, rhythym guitar is easier to follow with the wood 80's .... and they definitely still can rock. The treble of the wood 80 is nicely done. Most importantly, the wood 80 has the balanced presentation I like about the MS2; not to much or to little of anything. This wood 80 is a perfect compliment to my setup .... that falls between my senn 580/600 and the MS2. These are going to get a lot of ear time.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #21 of 33
I love the idea of woodying my MS1s, but I'm a bit concerned about the DIY route. From what I have read somewhere on this forum, some of the newer Grados are using a more aggressive adhesive to join the halves of the cans. That makes it much more difficult to separate the pieces than before. It would also be nice if we had some guidance concerning what we can expect in SQ from the different depth cups. Actually the site doesn't actually mention specific sizes available, just reference to making the cups to your specs. I am very much interested in doing this as a DIY project, but I will have to explore the Grado disassembly issue first. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
kev

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had some recently purchased grados, the cups come apart very easily just by using the boiling water method.

I would not recommend this unless you've already done this and are comfortable, using a hair dryer and flat head screwdriver is much safer IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the idea of woodying my MS1s, but I'm a bit concerned about the DIY route. From what I have read somewhere on this forum, some of the newer Grados are using a more aggressive adhesive to join the halves of the cans. That makes it much more difficult to separate the pieces than before. It would also be nice if we had some guidance concerning what we can expect in SQ from the different depth cups. Actually the site doesn't actually mention specific sizes available, just reference to making the cups to your specs. I am very much interested in doing this as a DIY project, but I will have to explore the Grado disassembly issue first. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
kev

Ok so I wanted to answer these questions for you guys.

Yes it is true you can take your Grados to pieces in 10 minutes or less. You can do the DIY route which comes with easy to follow instructions, I have had many people choose to do it this way, and all have successful
Or you can send your Grados to me to do the full install, for postage cost.

I see a lot of Grados and I can tell you they're still using the hot glue method on the 2 pieces of driver housing. This can simply be removed by a hair dryer on low and a fine tipped screw driver to help pull the top housing off.

Once the driver housing is off, you can either permanent install, or temporary install the new wooden cups. Let's say you have a pair of SR-60s now but in the future you plan upgrading to the SR-225s or 325i. Instead of buying a new set of Wooden Cups you could use the pair you already own, and put your SR-60s back to stock. This is also good if you blow your driver out and need to send them back to Grado(they will repair them). If you more worried about them being as sturdy as possible you would want to do the permanent install.

About the soldering, I wanted to make sure to avoid this because Grados solder pads are quite sensitive. So instead I make a small notch on the bottom of the cup which allows the user to simple slide them on without having to solder.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, it makes me really happy to see people enjoying the wooden cups. If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them.

Cody (sorry for my bed head typing
tongue.gif
)

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #24 of 33
Nice makeover Earl!
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is really tempting because I can basically get a RS-1/RS-2 for $200

I seriously doubt that, but we'll see once Earl has a chance to compare them to a pair of RS-1's.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HeadCoverage web page is a little broken. I get a "404 Not Found" error when clicking on "Custom Cables".

Your modded SR-80s look great Earl. I'm tempted. How do they compare to your MS-2i's?

Thanks. We are adding a bunch of new items so we took it down for a bit. Will be up either today or tomorrow hopefully.

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #29 of 33
Those are very sexy headphones, Earl! Much nicer than the usual custom Grado woodies I have seen.

But have you thought to maybe put AKG drivers in them too? You are already upgrading the looks, why not go even further.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back