eek.gif
)

If you still have no ideas, let the pics speak for themselves
icon10.gif

11422063.jpg

11422064.jpg

11422066.jpg

Mar 27, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 26
Ok, I'm completely ignorant of what those are. They have 340 on them so I am going to assume they are AKGs and the cord on them looks like Stax cord. The K1000 is an AKG and I think the other smilie is Staz, I don't know a heck of a lot about AKG or Stax, that is why I seem so noob-like.

Is that what this is, an AKG/Stax beester child? I like the look of them, considering they are from the 80s. If they were from 2005 I don't think i'd like the look.

How much were they? How much are they? Where did you get them? If it not to intrusive?

Mar 27, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Ok, I'm completely ignorant of what those are. They have 340 on them so I am going to assume they are AKGs and the cord on them looks like Stax cord. The K1000 is an AKG and I think the other smilie is Staz, I don't know a heck of a lot about AKG or Stax, that is why I seem so noob-like.

Is that what this is, an AKG/Stax beester child? I like the look of them, considering they are from the 80s. If they were from 2005 I don't think i'd like the look.

How much were they? How much are they? Where did you get them? If it not to intrusive?

The AKG340 is a two-way "electrostat-dynamic" system. (it's written there, under the K340 with smaller letters, sorry it's not fully legible). So, in a sense, it is an AKG/Stax beester child. Though, that other smilie is labeled "Big Headphones Smily", it was to say it's a headphone and the K1000 earspeakers in one.

How much were they? Well, they were not cheap, I think you can guess. They were among AKG's top-of-the-line headphones back then. Even so, the manufacturing costs were still so high that the production stopped after a few runs.

Where did I get them? I saw an ad, a guy from a studio was selling some phones and these were among them. Too big and heavy for studio purposes.

How much did I get them for?
smily_headphones1.gif

evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

$35
eek.gif
tongue.gif

icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
they're those pseudo electrostatic headphones. how you like em?

Pseudo?
blink.gif
Rather two-way.
tongue.gif

They are still burning in. Not bad so far... Noticed a few more extra notes on the recordings that are playing. Fits a bit loosely on my head, though.

Mar 27, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 26
Congrats, you lucky guy!
Last time I tried to get some from eBay, I lost a hard bidding fight and the other guy got them for 145 Euro. There was also another pair, but somehow I forgot to bid, and the lucky new owner got them for 4,95 Euro
frown.gif

Live isn't fair.

Mar 27, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head
Congrats, you lucky guy!
Last time I tried to get some from eBay, I lost a hard bidding fight and the other guy got them for 145 Euro. There was also another pair, but somehow I forgot to bid, and the lucky new owner got them for 4,95 Euro
frown.gif

Live isn't fair.

Whoa... that was some difference between the two bids...
blink.gif

Thank you!

Mar 27, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 26
nice pick, do you have an amp to go with them?

Mar 27, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
nice pick, do you have an amp to go with them?

That's the next step
wink.gif

The typical head-fi story: you get something nice, then you need something else, too, to be able to fully enjoy it.

Edit/addendum: I started a thread about which amp to build for the K340.

Mar 27, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 26
Wow, the AKG K340s! If I remember correctly, philodox brought his to the last Chicago meet... I found them quite interesting to listen, they definitely have a flavor on their own. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Wow, the AKG K340s! If I remember correctly, philodox brought his to the last Chicago meet... I found them quite interesting to listen, they definitely have a flavor on their own. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Mine is not yet modded, contrary to Philodox's, it even has the 4-wire coiled steel cable
blink.gif
though I think I'll replace that.

Mar 27, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
How much did I get them for?
smily_headphones1.gif

evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

$35
eek.gif
tongue.gif

icon10.gif

That has to be a typo.
eek.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 26
Yes!
I managed to get a pair too. At 101 Euro it was no real bargain, but at least soon I will be a member of the K 340 Club too
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head
Yes!
I managed to get a pair too. At 101 Euro it was no real bargain, but at least soon I will be a member of the K 340 Club too
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice
cool.gif

I found the sound nice at first, and wasn't that much impressed as I expected I'd be. Then I had to go and took my pcdp and buds with me.
eek.gif
Where did all the sound go?
After that I realized that it sounded so good and so natural... Though mine lack a bit bass, and maybe a little bit of highs, too, but the midrange and that imaging makes up for it. (Or maybe it was just because the source was inadequate.)

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy yours as much as I enjoy listening to mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back