Look what I got in the mail (ATH w2002)
Sep 28, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
The one problem that even the Headmaster couldn’t resolve was the W2002’s slow attack

Fascinating. What drew your attention to the slow attack of the W2002, and what made you get rid of them?

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 22
Those are absolutely gorgeous. It's like buying another girlfriend! Oh, did I just say that out loud? Er, type that in plain view? Anyway...

I have what may prove to be a stupid question. I hear almost exclusively good things about the A900's, but more than a little criticism of these headphones. What gives? Does the wood mess up the sound? Resonances maybe? Or do people just expect a lot more because they're paying more?

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #18 of 22
Hey guys, wow, thanks for all the recommendations! I'm getting a cary 300sei from my friend Len on this board, along with some Tungsol roundplate and sylvania 6sn7w, EH 300b's. As much as I'd love to get a modded Sugden headmaster, I ultimately ended up going with the cary because 1. I've heard them and liked them with my existing MS Pro's, and 2. I wanted a one-box solution to drive my headphones and my pair of Triangle Titus 202's in my bedroom. But knowing me, my curiosity will probably drive me to get a sugden one of these days anyway
wink.gif

Bangraman: To address the tonal situation, I can see where the w2002 might bug someone. So far with the Meridian as headamp, piano sounds just a touch "off". I'm hoping I can tweak it with some tuberolling or cable-rolling when I get the cary. I've listened to different tube combinations on the cary, and I can only say that the differences are not insignificant by any means.

"I have what may prove to be a stupid question. I hear almost exclusively good things about the A900's, but more than a little criticism of these headphones." -- Good question. Perhaps at this price level, people do (and should) expect a helluva lot from a phone. Some critical listeners will love ATH's, some will love Grados, and others Sennheisers, or Stax. It's all a matter of which manufacturer's design philosphy comes most closely with what your expectations are of a good headphone. Plus, we all hear differently anyway, so as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

But boy, these cans sure are pretty.
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #19 of 22
Oh, another thing...For those that have tried the w2002 with the Cary 300sei, could you elaborate some more on the sound? What was lacking or good about the combo? Sources used? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #20 of 22
Congrats on scoring your pair of ATH W2002 they are truly a beautiful set of cans. I currently have a pair of W2002 and have them paired up to my Stealth. On the Stealth I'm currently running a Amprex Bugle Boy D getter 12AU7 and the stock EH 6SN7's, with this set up I find that the bass is nice and tight and the mids and highs liquidity. I think the sound will improve once I swap in some vintage 6SN7's. I also have a Cary 300SEI which I'm currently holding as collateral but haven't had much time to play around with this amp to make any comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back