Look what I found (Koss K-6)
Jan 31, 2006 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

skudmunky

Headphoneus Supremus
Found these 30 ish year old headphones lurking around in the basement. I tried them out, but one of the connections was broken, so they just hung out in my room for a while. Then I discovered head-fi, started soldering, and decided to open them up and resolder. They work decently now, but the cable is messed up, there seems to be a bad connection somewhere inside the cable.

Soundwise I was impressed, they are definitly on par with my other headphones. The Koss portaPros beat them just barely in clarity, but the K6 are fun to listen to.
biggrin.gif

I haven't tried them straight from my Zen Micro, I always plugged them into my CMoy amp. The K-6 need major EQing downwards in the 1K range, they have a huge hump (more like a mountain) there. They are definitly not neutral headphones.

Also, these are HUGE. It's like having 3/4 of a softball on each side of your head!
basshead.gif

Without further ado, the pictures!

The color on this picture is a bit off, it's not really that much of a reddish brown.
kossk6-4close.jpg

Backside
kossk6-2.jpg

And a full view. Sorry for the blurryness
kossk6-3.jpg

Jan 31, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 2
My first headphones, back around 1967, were Koss, and they looked very similar to the ones shown by skudmunky. I think they were a little smaller, however, so they weren't exactly the same model. At the time, I thought they were really terrific, and I used them for about fifteen years, until they disappeared without a trace.

Our of nostalgia/curiosity, I actually purchased recently a pair of the new/rereleased Koss Pro 4A headphones. Heck, they cost $58 with free shipping from J & R. After reading how terrible/uncomfortable/awful they supposedly are, I was pleasantly surprised. They are heavy, but properly "mounted" on one's head they are adequately comfortable, and the sound, while not as full as contemporary, more expensive 'phones, is surprisingly good. And that's with no burn-in. What disappointed me sonically is the relative thinness of the bass. What surprised me in a positive way was the lack of "boominess" and the level of clarity and detail (no muddiness at all).

Better than my Audio Technica ATH-A900s or my Senn HD-600s? No way. But a bargain for $58 (and a trip down nostalgia avenue?) Heck, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back