LOOK!!! A rare Sony D-Z555 pcdp on EBAY...ends SOON!!!
Mar 6, 2003 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry for the laste notice, but I know this is a very rare and great sounding player (from what I've heard and read on this forum)! In about 11hours, this auction will end..about 10AM in California. I just thought I might inform those of you that haven't already located it because I know it can be a potentially a great deal and a great player! Here is the link...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...010597415&rd=1

I hope those of you that really REALLY want it, can have at least a chance to own it. It seems as if a player like this doesn't come up that often, right? I was going to try and bid, but one, I can't afford it right now(I'm sure it has a good possibility of soaring well above 300 smackers), and two, I'll most likely lose it to a higher bidder (I'm just not good at that bidding stuff). As of right now...11:00PM...it is at around 86.00bux. But don't count on it staying that low...especially if now, more people hear about it
evil_smiley.gif

Good luck to you all
smily_headphones1.gif

And if anyone on this forum wins the bid, please let us know how much you like it (or dislike it...which is unlikely)!

Mar 6, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
As of right now...11:00PM...it is at around 86.00bux. But don't count on it staying that low...especially if now, more people hear about it
evil_smiley.gif

Well, thanks for spilling the beans!!
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 17
puppyslug,

you're not by any chance the person who currently has the highest bid? if you are, i am sorry for letting this "secret" loose...but business is business. if not, then as i said in my post, i also would be pissed if i found out that i missed out on an item on EBAY that i really wanted beccause i failed to locate it. i enjoy the fact that we head-fiers help out eachother, and stick up for one another...particularly when it comes to purchasing audio products. i always believe in following the corney, but golden rule...treat others as you, yourself would be treated (my grammatical version). isn't that one of the ten commendments? i'm not religious or anything...could you tell?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 17
Hey puppyslug, you should know the D-Z555 is a dual DAC player, it has two PCM66P DACs inside.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
you're not by any chance the person who currently has the highest bid? if you are, i am sorry for letting this "secret" loose...but business is business. if not, then as i said in my post, i also would be pissed if i found out that i missed out on an item on EBAY that i really wanted beccause i failed to locate it. i enjoy the fact that we head-fiers help out eachother, and stick up for one another...particularly when it comes to purchasing audio products. i always believe in following the corney, but golden rule...treat others as you, yourself would be treated (my grammatical version). isn't that one of the ten commendments? i'm not religious or anything...could you tell?
smily_headphones1.gif

Help out can be interpreted differently. Like me, for instance.. I was watching that.. but when the whole Head-Fi community knows about a D-Z555.. it's sorta hard to get a bargain on when everyone's sniping against each other. It would have been better to keep quiet about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh well..

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
Hey puppyslug, you should know the D-Z555 is a dual DAC player, it has two PCM66P DACs inside.
smily_headphones1.gif

No crap?!! Damn! Missed another one!
eek.gif

Not that I would have paid $225(!) for one, anyway.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not as addicted as some. There is one in particular, who shall go nameless, but his initials are: LamerDeluxe!!
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
No crap?!! Damn! Missed another one!
eek.gif

Not that I would have paid $225(!) for one, anyway.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not as addicted as some. There is one in particular, who shall go nameless, but his initials are: LamerDeluxe!!
tongue.gif

Oi! Those aren't initials!

(need to change my nickname, lets see 'user cp'...)

Both my D-555's had headphone out problems, on I fixed bridging a burned out SMD cap with a regular large electrolyte. I'm not sure what the problem is with the other one yet.

I thought my hobby would be collecting these things and listening to them, but I'm starting to look like a repairshop now
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I thought my hobby would be collecting these things and listening to them, but I'm starting to look like a repairshop now
rolleyes.gif

Ain't the truth? Your new D-88 isn't working right, and neither did your D-515 or D-311...seems like every new player you get you're having to repair.
frown.gif
Heh, I haven't used my D-311 yet (still have to get an adapter)...I hope it works okay. Your experiences in buying PCDPs has made me wary
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Ain't the truth? Your new D-88 isn't working right, and neither did your D-515 or D-311...seems like every new player you get you're having to repair.
frown.gif
Heh, I haven't used my D-311 yet (still have to get an adapter)...I hope it works okay. Your experiences in buying PCDPs has made me wary
tongue.gif

Yeah, I must say it's really killing my enjoyment:

D-515, has developed a starting problem, broke the resume button.
D-303, had a skipping problem, fixed that, now the audio doesn't work anymore
D-T66, skipping problem, fixed that, audio isn't working anymore
Denon DCP-100, said to be in good condition, had a broken gear, fixed it but it will probably not last long
D-555 said to be okay, turned out the hp-out didn't work, fixed that with a regular quality cap (can't get any quality ones)
D-Z555, said to have a skipping problem, hp-out balance is totally wrong
D-100, said to be working, doesn't recognize any discs
JVC XL-P70 said to be working, hp-out low volume, wrong balance. Fixed that by replacing two caps with regular quality ones, thanks to puppyslug's tips.
D-99, said to be okay, slight skipping problem, broke the megabass button.
D-88 said to be working perfectly, skipped like mad, works but oversensitive to movement

Other defective players are my white D-100 and Denon DCP-50.

At least my Denon DCP-150, D-311x2, D-25x3 and Akai PD-X73 are working okay
rolleyes.gif

I still have to complain to some of the sellers, I hate doing that.

Maybe I should get my Delorean timemachine and choose not to start collecting these players :^/

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 17
I've just won a 555 for the princely sum of £50.

There are problems with line out and EQ but I intend to play it flat through headphone output anyway.

Looking forward to getting it. I will be trying it with Ety's, (4 and 6), 35's and PortaPros.

I'll post a detailed review in the fullness of time.

Mar 6, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Yeah, I must say it's really killing my enjoyment:

Other defective players are my white D-100 and Denon DCP-50.

I still have to complain to some of the sellers, I hate doing that.

Maybe I should get my Delorean timemachine and choose not to start collecting these players :^/

Yeah.. I'm starting to get annoyed with repairing the players [well.. attempting to, anyway.. I'm in no way as technically minded as you..
smily_headphones1.gif
]

But I've pulled my D-35 out and I've found some pretty annoying problems with it..

1): headphone out is pretty messed up/unbalanced. Line out seems to work fine.

2): Overly sensitive to movement. Any slight movement (ie: hitting the "next" or "back" button on the player makes it skip).

And that's it for now.. but having to use the line out is somewhat annoying. :p

Mar 6, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Yeah.. I'm starting to get annoyed with repairing the players [well.. attempting to, anyway.. I'm in no way as technically minded as you..
smily_headphones1.gif
]

But I've pulled my D-35 out and I've found some pretty annoying problems with it..

1): headphone out is pretty messed up/unbalanced. Line out seems to work fine.

That's probably the headphone out electrolytes (220uF usually). To test this bypass them with a working cap (just touch the connections with the feet of the working cap, mind the polarity).

Quote:

2): Overly sensitive to movement. Any slight movement (ie: hitting the "next" or "back" button on the player makes it skip).

Clean and (lightly) lubricate the wormwheel with white litium grease (molykote for instance). Use a brush with cleaning alcohol for cleaning. A toothpick for applying and maybe the brush for spreading the grease.

Clean and (lightly!) lubricate the laser guide rail with sewing machine oil.

Clean the lens with cleaning alcohol on a q-tip. Use the dry end to dry the lens.

Use a syringe with sewing machine oil to place some drops at the spindle axis under the spindle hub.

Other than that, tracking might need adjusting, you'd probably need a service manual for that.

Quote:

And that's it for now.. but having to use the line out is somewhat annoying. :p

I know what you mean and I don't even have an amp yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back