Longtime Lurker Seeking Amp/DAC advice
Jul 27, 2015 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ksweene5

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently looking into upgrading my listening experience with a dac/amp combo - or just an amp. I listen to all styles of rock music, jazz, and some country. My current cans are - Fidelio X1s (home use), AT-M50x's (at work) and UE6000s (travel). 

A lot of the advice I have read say that the DAC portion is least important - with headphones and then amp being of higher import. I would like the amp or amp/dac to have portability. I would like to stay around or preferably below $200 , but don't mind spending more to get it right the first time. Some options I had looked at are  - FiiO e12, JDS C5, Oppo HA-2. Of those I have only heard the Oppo and I loved it (paired with m50xs). I also got to use a Ray Samuels P-51 and enjoyed it though it seemed sterile. I listen to a lot of streaming music, but also have a good collection of hi-res files. 

So, my questions are -

1) Do I "need" a DAC in the setup? Or, would I be better off getting the best possible amp for the money?
2) What recommendations does the community have for the amp/dac combo, or just an amp?

I have no problems buying used if there is some value to be had there. So, if a model worth seeking out is not in production please throw that idea out there. I am not overly concerned with pairing my existing headphones as an amp will probably result in me getting a higher impedance pair soon. Thanks In advance! 

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 6
1) What is the make/model of the device you would use the DAC with? Some audio devices have pretty good DACs.
2) E12 and C5 are good. Look into the Cayin C5.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 6
My primary use would be a work laptop, secondary my nexus 6. The laptop just has a run of the mill realtek audio setup.

Edit* thanks for the rec, I will look into it tonight

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 6
The Cayin looks like another solid choice - making my decision even more difficult! Does anyone have any input as far as the portable players are concerned? DX90, X3/5 and the like. Do most of these options have a DAC/Amp only mode for the times when I am stationary? 

Also, does anyone have any first hand experience to share between the HA-2 and any of the other amp/dacs mentioned here? Reason being, the HA-2 is the only one I have used. Thanks!

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 6
All of your headphones would be easily driven by any of those DAPs. And yes. They should work as a DAC/amp with your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back