Longevity of LOD?
Jul 22, 2009 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

krismusic

Headphoneus Supremus
Over on the forum run by Graham Slee, who made my portable amp, I have been told that they do not recommend LODs' as they have found the connection to be too fragile for portable use. Instead they sell a "very high quality" jack to jack. Anyone had problems with their LOD?

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 15
Yes, I have had one LOD breaking down on me.
It all depends on the cable (material, built quality, ..) and how you use it (carefully, rough, ..).

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 15
I think we need some clarification first (or at least I do). Do you know if they are saying the jack (the female connector) housed in the unit is too fragile for constant use of an LOD? Or is it the connector plug on the LOD that is too fragile? Many people get jack and plug mixed up which brings me to my next question...

You said they claim to make a high quality jack to jack. So are they offering an extension of the 30 pin jack in order to reduce strain or do you mean plug to plug? And what plug, if so. An 1/8" to 1/8" interconnect? If so, it obviously doesn't take advantage of the cleaner signal of the line out which is the whole purpose of using an LOD.

As for the longevity of an LOD, I've been using the one I built myself for well over a year without any problems. It often gets plugged and unplugged due to charging my iMod and/or using my iMod on a docking station that my partner and I made.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 15
Norway ehh? Beautiful country and very cool people. I was there last year.
cool.gif
Guess you don't get to see much of it with over 27000 posts!
k701smile.gif

Seriously, thanks for the input. This bunch Audio Elevation: Accessories who are main stockists of the Graham slee amp, PM'd me suggesting the Sendstation dock and a very nice looking 3,5 to 3.5 that they make up.
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we need some clarification first (or at least I do). Do you know if they are saying the jack (the female connector) housed in the unit is too fragile for constant use of an LOD? Or is it the connector plug on the LOD that is too fragile? Many people get jack and plug mixed up which brings me to my next question...

You said they claim to make a high quality jack to jack. So are they offering an extension of the 30 pin jack in order to reduce strain or do you mean plug to plug? And what plug, if so. An 1/8" to 1/8" interconnect? If so, it obviously doesn't take advantage of the cleaner signal of the line out which is the whole purpose of using an LOD.

As for the longevity of an LOD, I've been using the one I built myself for well over a year without any problems. It often gets plugged and unplugged due to charging my iMod and/or using my iMod on a docking station that my partner and I made.

This is what Audio Elevations said; " We tried to develop a dock to 3.5mm jack lead and it kept failing after just a few weeks "in the field". When we found Sendstation, I bought one for myself from Germany (it's still in use today) and it solved the problem. The strain on those tiny pins in the dock connector is too high - even when connections are soldered then the plug filled with glue. This is the best compromise we've come up with and we've managed to secure reseller status for Audio Elevation."
The Sendstation enables you to connect a 3.5 to 3.5 to the LO of the iPod. Good advice about the need to amp. I will try to have a more dispassionate listen.
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 15
I am really not trying to be cynical, but this is a classic example of them wanting you to use a product which they clearly get compensated for. I am not sure what rigorous testing they did, but this site (Head-Fi) is full of people (1,000s) that use LODs daily with no issues. I can't even recall any threads that particularly mention LODs being faulty or having durability issues. I mean it is audio gear, so treat it with respect but their data is shoddy at best.

Warrior05 makes an extremely durable LOD that I am sure will outlast at least your DAP. I would certainly recommend that along with others before a SendStation.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 15
1/8" jacks on portable players are just as fragile. Honestly I think it's an unfortunate design that could easily be bested, though it would need to be larger.

Try to make your own with right angle 1/8" plugs. Better yet, make a low profile LOD like the one listed in my sig. I don't make them anymore but it's very durable because it's so short. The leverage on the player's lod receptacle is very low.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 15
From my experience it is the pins in the dock connector that break, but you really do have to abuse it for that to happen. My current is only the 3rd I've made and has been used 6 days a week for 9 months and apart from falling apart (the cover fell off, it still worked and nothing a bit of glue couldn't fix) it works great. If you plan on putting the rig in a bag with little space below and the weight of the ipod bouncing/resting on it it is worth looking into an LOD which doesn't have a straight out the bottom cable as this will put more strain on the connector.

I have a voyager and completely ignored their money making advice - if I can build an LOD that lasts anyone can. It's not fun though, and you would get a better quality and far better looking one from any number of builders in the DIY section. I can't see how the sendstation with a socket in the bottom could be any less fragile than a normal LOD anyway!

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 15
LOD longevity is dependent on the usage of the owner. NEver hear any person nor seen post which complains about faulty LOD or them breaking apart etc.

I do plug in and out the LOD frequently and never have problem what so ever. Take care of the equipment and it will take care of you.
L3000.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 15
Probably they mean that if the cable is too rigid, it can bend the jack on the iPod/iPhone. I don't see a problem if the cable is not too rigid though I have the SendStation and like it because you can use any 1/8" mini cable with it (it's not fixed):

Amazon.com: PocketDock Line Out USB: Electronics

Pics:

601552296_tSmZX-M.jpg

601552287_TdVaT-M.jpg

601552289_q9zew-M.jpg

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 15
I bought one on Ebay and its been flawless.

I bought a different type at Toys R Us. Its got a mini-usb that can charge/data and a triple sleeve 3.5mm jack for audio/video out (like the ipod dock). The only issue with this LOD is that I had to take the casing off, shorten it so I would work with my speck cases.

The LOD I made shorted out, but i'm no electronics super solderer and I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

incidentally, i'm using a DIY cable made with switchcraft angles. I love them, once I took my time and got the strain reliefs done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back