Longest run of IC cable?
Jul 31, 2006 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

russdog

500+ Head-Fier
Am considering running a high quality IC cable from laptop's Echo Indigo to headphone amp, mini-plugs on each end. What's the longest that cable can be without bad effects?

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 6
That depends a bit on cable quality, shielding, presensence of emi sources et cetera - but in general, I wouldn't exspect any problems with lenghts up to some 20' (~ 6 m).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
That depends a bit on cable quality, shielding, presensence of emi sources et cetera - but in general, I wouldn't exspect any problems with lenghts up to some 20' (~ 6 m).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Thanks for your help.

Any other opinions, or does this sound like a good answer to most folks? I like the idea of 20', but I'd hate to find out the right answer is 19' :wink:

ps: I'm looking at bluejeans, so I can afford it...

Jul 31, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 6
No worries - 20' is already rather conservative.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 1, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 6
unfortunately the compete answer involves you preamp...laptop in this case. short is best...i run a 12'/3 meter run, and my preamp manufacturer recommends that as the max to not experience degridation of signal quality. in real terms i wouldn't worry too much, but a laptop is a beast i am not familiar with as a source. if you want an easy test...go get some cheapo wire and run it the length you need...then see if your signal is strong enough...compare it to the same wire at 1 meter. This should only cost you $10 if you go cheap enough.

Aug 1, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 6
jj: That rather seems an overly cautious - and for a pre-amp not very practical - recommendation, I'd say. Either that, or the output stage of that pre-amp is a bad design.
evil_smiley.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Also keep in mind that russdog will be transferring a line-level signal. Whereas the output signal level of a pre-amp might be a lot lower due to attenuation via volume knob...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back