Long USB cord runs to soundcard acceptable?
Dec 1, 2005 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
I have been considering getting a wireless receiver like the Squeezebox to get music to the speaker setup I plan on getting but after some research I have decided that I am too comfortable using Foobar to play my music and don't want to deal with wireless connections and a manufacturer's music software to play my music. With this in mind, I am interested in simply using a long USB cable to connect my Waveterminal U24 to my DAC, which in the future will be placed about 12-15' away from my laptop. Seeing as the U24 is USB powered, I am wondering if this long of a USB cord run would detract from its performance as a transport (via coax digital out)? I remember reading in some places on this forum that long USB runs can be problematic...

Dec 4, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Steady on
biggrin.gif

I go 10 feet regularly with some Apple USB extensions, the cheap plain wire ones.

I've made my Xbox joypads go nearly 15 feet with CAT 5 network cable. I made this 20 feet and kept shortening it until it worked perfectly.

I'm sure you can go that distance with a regular extension cable! Try it because it doesn't cost mcuh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back