long time no see...my e2cs finally bit it
Feb 1, 2009 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

onionblaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I haven't been here in a long time, but then again I haven't been in the market for a while either. I'm going on a trip in the next couple weeks and my trusty rusty e2cs have finally met their maker. I struggled through with them for a few months, fiddling, twisting, and bending the input jack to get the sound to come through all the way, dealing with frayed thin wire around the ears, and occasionally smacking the side of my head to get the sound back into the right ear, but I've finally given up the chase and decided to get myself an early birthday present to replace them. These are strictly for portable, straight-out-my-ipod use, and IEMs are crucial because I need these for my plane trip in two weeks (I really don't want to bring SR-60s on the plane and have to crank them all the way up to make the sound audible to myself, and the people next to me).

My problem is, the last time I was in the market, shure E4cs were the newest product. I know nothing about this new line of IEMs they have or where anything falls on it, or where I could compare it to the E line. So basically what I'm asking for is some new advice starting fresh as if it was 2004 and I had just discovered this website. I'd like to stick with shures just cause I know them, and I definitely need to keep it cheap, too, probably around $120. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 13
If you liked the E2c, you can try the SE110... Which is bascially the e2c with adifferent look and name.

Or if you want to try somthing other than shure, you can try the Klipsch Custom 2, which is going on amazon for just over 100 bucks.. and they are a 200 dollar IEM.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Isolation's pretty huge. These are headphones for situations when I want isolation -- long rides, intense work sessions, things like that. In terms of sound signature, I liked the e2c's fine, so I'm sure the equivalent on the new line or maybe a step or two up would suit me fine. I like the sort of bassy fun sound of the shures

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 13
I dont' know much about that SCL line, although amazon has SCL4s for about a hundred bucks. SCL3s are like E3C, you say, but apparently so are SE210s? Shure, why hast thou forsaken me? Do they seriously release all those versions of essentially the same headphone for different prices?

These are the deals that have caught my eye on amazon, and the one earwax just gave me:
SE110s for $75
white SCL3 for $60
white SCL4 for $100
white SE210 for $110

I wouldn't care about the white vs. black, but for some reason black versions cost a lot more....

What is the whole SCL line, compared to the SE line? Are they the same, which is all the same as the E line? Shure has gotten ridiculous!

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 13
SCL3 = E3C
SCL4 = E4C

The SEs are new IEMs ... it's the consumer line with more bass

SE110 comparable with E2C, but more bass
SE210 comparable with E3C, but more bass
SE310 comparable with E4C, but more bass
SE420 completely new product
SE530 = E500

from memory (pls. correct me someone if i'm not right)

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 13
is it true that the se210 have more bass? i've got scl2 and like their sound signature but hoping more bass in it.
its quite ridiculous to compare senns cx400 to shure se210, but which one have a good bass?

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by onionblaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks...it seems like those SCL4s are a good deal then compared with the similarly priced options

Yes, but they are somewhat anemic bass wise (from own experience). To be honest, I would not recommend to buy a Shure IEM at this moment. I would recommend to buy the new Phonak Audeo PFE for about $130. This IEM should give much better sound quality and a very good quality/price ratio (from various threads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back