Long time member needs your amp help
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

will75

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I've only owned an Audio Technica amp in the past, the HA3000.

I now need your advice for a headphone amp.

1. I'm using this with my computer run system. I have a klipsh promedia 2.1 plugged into my pc and plug my headphones right into one of the speakers. Not ideal, but it works.

2. My plan is to plug this amp into the speaker instead and my headphones right into the amp. So, it'll basically just be plugged into a 3.5mm jack.

3. What amp do you recommend for around $500 or 600?

4. I primarily use grado headphones but at times my AT woodies or sennheisers. I listen mostly to rock.

5. With a computer powering this through the klipsh, is there an additional piece that would help substantially? Like a dac?

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi all. I've only owned an Audio Technica amp in the past, the HA3000.

I now need your advice for a headphone amp.

1. I'm using this with my computer run system. I have a klipsh promedia 2.1 plugged into my pc and plug my headphones right into one of the speakers. Not ideal, but it works.

2. My plan is to plug this amp into the speaker instead and my headphones right into the amp. So, it'll basically just be plugged into a 3.5mm jack.

4. I primarily use grado headphones but at times my AT woodies or sennheisers. I listen mostly to rock.

5. With a computer powering this through the klipsh, is there an additional piece that would help substantially? Like a dac?
An external dac is most always a better option than a computer motherboard dac or soundcard. If you already have some good cans then a good dac is a must!

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 12
What is it that you are looking for?

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 12
Heron 5 is just a awesome amp.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 12
I guess I was not clear a Heron is just a awaome amp.

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Micca Origen G2 - $109

Has headphone out for your headphones and pre-out for your speakers.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 12

Instead of plugging the the amp into the speakers' headphone output you should get a DAC-HPamp or a DAC and HPamp which has a preamp output for the speakers. As much as this puts two potentiometers in the same path, the other option will do that and worse.

Schiit Modi2 Uber and Vali2

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 12
OK, what do you recommend for that part?

Instead of plugging the the amp into the speakers' headphone output you should get a DAC-HPamp or a DAC and HPamp which has a preamp output for the speakers. As much as this puts two potentiometers in the same path, the other option will do that and worse.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 12
OK, what do you recommend for that part?

Quote06.jpg

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 12
+1 i have this set up with hd600s and love it. Didnt try the multibit so cant comment on if its worth the money, but the extra dosh on the uber for multi inputs was a no brainer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back