Long time lurker... subscribed
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SirDedale

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on this board for some time now. I got phases where I need to read or play or listen to music. I'm back in the last one now
wink_face.gif

I got some nice B&W P5 and now thanks to a good deal and my wife some Monster MD trumpets. As I tend to use mac, my whole collection has been mashed to iTunes match but I plan to get everything important in FLAC.

I'm in the market for a nice DAP. The price is a huge factor as my wife cannot be convinced easily that I have to spend $600 in a player. I looked into the Clip Zip which is cheap enough and does seem to sound nice. But, I also consider the Rocoo P and BA (which I don't see anywhere on the official hisound website) and perhaps the ibasso DX50. The question remains, will I be able to feel a difference in terms of SQ between let's say the Rocoo or the Clip Zip... 
If someone reading this post has any insight, I would be grateful to hear about that !

btw, this a great forum. Kuddos to the admins and mods.
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to head-fi!

The difference you will hear depends on lots of things. I feel like, getting a $600 headphone would be much better option for you, as P5 and MD trumpets aren't the most source dependent headphones. I say buy a DX50 for about $250 and buy another headphone for about $250. That would be the money best spent imo.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Welcome to head-fi!

The difference you will hear depends on lots of things. I feel like, getting a $600 headphone would be much better option for you, as P5 and MD trumpets aren't the most source dependent headphones. I say buy a DX50 for about $250 and buy another headphone for about $250. That would be the money best spent imo.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. Really appreciated. And thanks for the welcome as well!

For now, I want to keep my headphones and really want to buy a DAP. I was just wondering whether with those headphones I would see a difference between a clip zip and a DX50 (which does really look sexy btw).

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer me. Really appreciated. And thanks for the welcome as well!

For now, I want to keep my headphones and really want to buy a DAP. I was just wondering whether with those headphones I would see a difference between a clip zip and a DX50 (which does really look sexy btw).

You will notice a slight difference, but I don't think it will be worth $250.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I go hunting for a clip zip then!
Thanks for your advices.

If you have $600, grab a Clip Zip and a portable amp while you at it, and heck you'll have some money left over to explore new headphones and iems if you so desire! In addition IF you have $600 to spend, the DX 50 is a very nice DAP. I can't say how much better it is in terms of quality of the Clip Zip, but on looks alone it's down right sexy, 

but again if you need to save as much as possible and get the most BANG for your buck, the Clip Zip is top notch! 

Also your avatar is so adorable! 

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Sorry for the confusion but no, I don't have $600 to spend. It's more about 200 / 250. 

The thing is, I can have a cool deal for a studio 5 anv3 but again if I won't notice a difference because my headphones are not enough, I prefer to go for the cheaper. I was also thinking about buying a Fiio E17 and amp my phone and my laptop as it would be relatively cheaper.

I'm really happy with my headphones btw. I listen to music everyday with them and even if I know there is greener grass elsewhere, I will do with those cans 
regular_smile .gif

Edit: btw, the avatar is cj7, a very cool chinese movie :wink:

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 9
The P5's are a great set of cans with a great sound signature, but unfortunately they aren't the most resolving. On top of that one of the really great things about them is that they are very easy to drive and play well with a lot sources/amps (they sounded very respectable even out of my iPhone and laptop). The down side to that is that in my experience with them they didn't benefit a whole ton from upgrades; they sounded better in my DX100 than my iPhone, but the improvement was no where near what I got with my DT1350's or higher end IEMs. I think the E17 is a great idea in terms of not outspending what the P5's are capable of while providing a audible improvement. The DX50 would probably be a great choice too (though I haven't heard it), especially if you upgrade your phones down the road (which considering you've already found your way to headfi is basically a given
wink_face.gif
).

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion but no, I don't have $600 to spend. It's more about 200 / 250. 

The thing is, I can have a cool deal for a studio 5 anv3 but again if I won't notice a difference because my headphones are not enough, I prefer to go for the cheaper. I was also thinking about buying a Fiio E17 and amp my phone and my laptop as it would be relatively cheaper.

I'm really happy with my headphones btw. I listen to music everyday with them and even if I know there is greener grass elsewhere, I will do with those cans 
regular_smile .gif

Edit: btw, the avatar is cj7, a very cool chinese movie :wink:

Oh well than yea man, for a $200 budget, the Clip Zip and E17 is perfect! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back