Long time lurker looking for a new setup for a new office!
Feb 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ac1djazz

New Head-Fier
Hey all, been reading this site for years, hands down the best information I've found on the subject.  I just got a new job with a new office and I'd like to celebrate with a new setup.  

So I'd like to open up to general suggestions on what you think is the best out there? (w/in a reasonable price).  Here are a couple details:

- looking for over the ear only, ears are sensitive and get irritated w/ most all in-ear headphones
- looking for mainly a headphone+amp setup which ill be streaming/playing music from my laptop with
- via USB DAC is preferred, using a usb hub so less to plug into my actual laptop when i bring it back from meetings

budget for headphones are $200-500, for amp about the same.  although if something is a little bit out of budget but worth it I'm open

thanks for any suggestions! 

-k

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 7
these mad dogs look pretty awesome, what is an MM stack ? would that be the magni and the modi amp+DAC from schiit? i wals also eyeing the q701's since i love the comfort of AKG.

why doesnt schiit make a combination piece?

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 7
these mad dogs look pretty awesome, what is an MM stack ? would that be the magni and the modi amp+DAC from schiit? i wals also eyeing the q701's since i love the comfort of AKG.

why doesnt schiit make a combination piece?
Yeah, MM Stack is modi & magni. Ppl like the seperate pieces so that you can upgrade/sidegrade components instead of entire pieces. A lot of ppl are happy with the modi so all they do is swap the magni which isn't always possible with combination units. Ex : NFB 12 is a dac/amp and even tho you can rca out into another amp, the dac is always coupled to the amp so you can't totally bypass it entirely, so you'll always be "flavoring" the music with NFB12's amp.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Awesome, nice to know it'd be easier to upgrade down the line.

For music I listen to pretty much anything, from classic rock to neoclassic darkwave to cinemix (a movie soundtrack streaming station).  I never have a perference.  Except country.  No country.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 7
My suggestion would to be not get the Q701 if you plan on using these in an office. The sound leakage will be pretty annoying to your coworkers. Also, the Mad Dogs have a gigantic sound stage for a closed can, so you're not really sacrificing there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back