"Long Time Lurker"... introduction thread and gear advice
Apr 26, 2015 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

j0hn

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi

Wanted to introduce myself - I've been a lurker here for years (YEARS!) starting when I needed to buy some replacement cables for some Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones. I'm sure those are considered just garbage here, and I don't listen to them any more (gave them to a friend), but for ~6 years of my life, those were my "decent" headphones

Back then I had bought a FIIO USB DAC/AMP (E07 maybe?) because I had a laptop with a no good headphone jack, and that was probably the "gateway drug" to owning decent equipment

I guess I'm a member of "team AKG"... the first real cans I owned were K550, and then this year for my birthday my GF got me K701, and then I got some Sextetts (a friend had let me listen to a modded pair he picked up at a head-fi meet in Montreal, and I still remember they were unreal).

Anyway, that FIIO is never going to drive those Sextetts, so I just picked up a used Lyr from the classifieds... which I can't wait for.

I'm assuming that the next thing I need is a decent DAC that I can put next to my amp, since my FIIO won't work as a DAC only, I don't think, and I don't feel like it's got the chops I want to drive any of my headphones through the Lyr anyways.

That's all from me for now. Chime in if you think there's a bit of gear I just just just need to have to complete my setup.

- John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back