Long Time Head-Fier Needs Recommendation
Dec 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
Dear other users,

thanks for reading my post and even more for trying to find the right headphone for me.
Basically I want a consumer headphone to replace my PRO 900 - it does not have to be better by any means, but it has to be more musical.

Currently I'm using mostly my FX700 (at home) and W4 (on-the-go). The JVC killed the PRO 900 for me like the HJE900 killed the HFI-780 back in the day.

About the PRO 900:
I liked them for their incredible precision in the low end and the energy they can give the music. However, the bass sounds unrealistic and timbre is lacking. Maybe they're not sibilant, but harsh as in they give the music some aggressivity that I think does not belong there. The FX700 can sound powerful but also smooth, for example.
I also wouldn't mind a more flat presentation. Ideal would be some 3-5 db raise on both ends.

Past/tested cans:
- HFI-780:
All the same flaws the PRO 900 has: weird tonality/timbre, lacking musicality (emotion in voices)
- DT-990:
Flabby bass and too much of it. Annoying highs with lacking resolution. Dry, lifeless mids.
- HD 650:
Too soft, too warm.
- Q701:
Too dry, too distanced.
- DT-770:
Bloated flabby bass. Horrible.
- T1:
Incredible soundstage, incredible resolution (overkill!), same harsh highs as the PRO 900, maybe lacking some body, annoyingly heavy cable!
- D2000:
Technically not on par with HFI-780, too strong flabby bass, aggressive highs.
I also heard some Grados but I don't even want to list them as I might hurt somebody's feelings...

From what I've read, I'm hoping the Z1000 could be what I'm looking for. However the impressions vary immensely. Some say they lack bass, other say they have too much - sometimes it's precise and punchy, at other times it's muddy. I really don't see any chance for settling on a consensus for quite some time. Huge plus is the portability. I will order the Sony if you don't have a better recommendation.

I think also a D5000 might fulfill my needs, but my experience with the D2000 was a very bad one, so I'm very cautions with the rest of Denon's lineup.

I really don't mind paying extra for novelty, good build quality and nice packaging. I consider myself to be a consumer with love for details. My source is not really high quality, but I do have an amp which should do fine with most headphones and shockingly ressembles the A1. I do hope not to have to spend more than 500 € - I hope I have overlooked an option in the 200 - 300 € range.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you looked at Beyerdynamic's T70p? I've heard them myself, and while they don't have tons-o-bass, they're a nice set of cans for your price range.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 4
From what I gathered:
T70: very analytical, dry and thin bass, bright
HE-500: look awful, heavy, difficult to drive, no vendor/support/warranty in my country
Audio Technica: Too mid-centric and dark, maybe?

HD600: Yes, maybe. Is it similar to the HD598?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back