Long cables for IEMs
Oct 1, 2019 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Iridescence

New Head-Fier
I've been recently enjoying listening to my P1s at the computer but the standard size IEM cable they have is so irritating for desktop listening. Does anyone sell a decent quality long cable (at least 2.5 meters)with the MMCX connectors preferably not more than about $30? I looked in the usual places but can't seem to find any. Or I guess I could use one of those extension cables you can get but does that effect the sound?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 4
I've been recently enjoying listening to my P1s at the computer but the standard size IEM cable they have is so irritating for desktop listening. Does anyone sell a decent quality long cable (at least 2.5 meters)with the MMCX connectors preferably not more than about $30? I looked in the usual places but can't seem to find any. Or I guess I could use one of those extension cables you can get but does that effect the sound?

Hi @Iridescence,

veclan.com is a good place to start if you want really long IEM cables, they go up to 3.6 m though I would suggest just go for a good extension cable instead.
IEM cables tend to be a certain length for a reason as they tend to be more for portable use, not to mention most IEMs are quite light so the weight distribution will be off if the cable is too long & the whole thing becomes unwieldy in your ear.
Not to mention if you want to take your IEMs on the go, this makes it easier just to disconnect them for your desktop source.
Saying that, I sometimes use IEMs for desktop listening & rather just use an extension cable if the cable I have is standard 1.2 m though it is nice when some manufacturers give up to 1.4 m on average.

As a general rule, extension cables should not alter sound unless they are rated for high impedence then the increased electrical resistance does 'restrict' the sound to a certain extent, think of a tap or dam controlling water flow, electricity or the audio signal works the same to similar way in this case, the path of least resistance...

On thing I will also caution, is especially with extension cables, make sure your source volume is zero as the feedback from the ground pins in the plug will likely damage your IEM drivers, not to mention your hearing if you're wearing them.

Some decent affordable extension cables I can recommend are as follows in no particular order :

Ready Made :
Fiio extension cables
Grado extension cable (sometimes these get a bit hot signal wise with some high current gear)

Custom :
Custom extension cable from any pro audio shop (suggest Neutrik or Rean TRS connectors with Canare cables), more than likely get good deal too. (Average cost for 3 m shouldn't be more than $ 50 in any currency, if closer to your target $ 30 all the better, as such average should be $ 40)

veclan.com

Hope this all makes sense, feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Wow..thanks for the great and informative response post! I did track down an extension cable for them that seems good quality and doesn't seem to alter sound noticeably while making them long enough to listen to at my desk comfortably but maybe I'll check out some of those other options you listed later. Cheers.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 4
Wow..thanks for the great and informative response post! I did track down an extension cable for them that seems good quality and doesn't seem to alter sound noticeably while making them long enough to listen to at my desk comfortably but maybe I'll check out some of those other options you listed later. Cheers.

No problem, @Iridescence,

Happy to help, be interested to know how things turn out for you overall.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back