London Head-Fi Meet Up - Summer 2014
May 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #31 of 97
I wholeheartedly agree with everything that you've written, as I too think that it'd be prudent to start thinking more about regional meets. Organising one 'National' event per year takes a lot of commitment and effort on the part of a determined individual, but thinking smaller scale and concentrating on the hobbyist aspect (i.e. members bring their gear and not necessarily retail involvement) is more easily doable.

So come on folks, step up and volunteer to organise a meet!

smial1966 said:
smial1966

True, but the last two events were in London, so it's time to look further north!  
wink_face.gif

At least you tried Andy
bigsmile_face.gif

I share the concerns about the event going down a trade show route. Such an event should be in addition to a meet.

I was going to gently suggest some benefits of holding the meet elsewhere
evil_smiley.gif
but we're treating this as a national event, which is perhaps a mistake. If the focus is to enable people to try different gear, perhaps this is best served by more, smaller, regional meets. This may limit the available gear but should provide an increased opportunity to listen to what is there, and, of course, there's no reason you couldn't travel further should you want to. Or, maybe hold, say, three events around the country over the year?

May 21, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #36 of 97
Not happened yet, still in the process (maybe) of getting organised!

May 21, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #38 of 97
Certainly not!
I'm 52 and noticed a couple of folks much older than me at the meeting last year...:)))

May 21, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #42 of 97
I believe laws in England require a parent to accompany any under-18 at a public gathering or there must be a child protection officer on site.

But folks can get legally married (with parents consent) and also have kids at 16 (as so many of them do), so 18 seems a bit excessive to have a parent with you!

If you are in the 16 to 17 age group, then you might still get in without anyone asking your age, just as long as you look like you could pass for 18 years of age!!!

May 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #45 of 97
They should be relieved you are not into getting hammered on cheap cider/lager down the park with mates, or taking all manner of the new designer drugs that are readily available, or even for that matter bringing home the news that you've got the girlfriend pregnant!!!

I think they should see it as at least a good clean hobby compared to the many other things that lead kids astray these days!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back