London Head-Fi Meet Up - Summer 2014
Apr 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 97
Well, anyone working in a place that's music related, or anyplace with a bulletin board really, could put up an ad for the event.
If someone wants to design a poster of some sort... ?

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #18 of 97
I am very interested in the next meet, dates when known will be great so i can book days off work (cabin crew, harder to get the days off) and would be happy to help with what i can (unfortunately probably not a lot as I am very busy with my job)

I'll help promote with posters if someone makes them, and sends me them for me to print :) I work for easyJet

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 97
I don't have the time to host / organise a meet, but could well come in handy with the negotiations with proposed venues...

Locations / venues / dates / anticipated numbers, once pencilled in will help me get some rates / availabilities.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #20 of 97
Why can't we just keep the event small and friendly and focus mainly on keen hobbyists sharing equipments with only few  sponsors to cover the cost of renting a room? 
Personally, I don't like the idea of turning it into some big commercial event.

May 1, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #21 of 97
True, last years was a great size of event with some great people and gear.

A singer/band again would be awesome too

May 1, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 97
OK-Guy, 

Here are my thoughts/observations having organised the 2012 UK Meet.

1. Contrary to residents popular belief London isn't the centre of England, so think more centrically and look at e.g. Birmingham or Cambridge as possible meet places. Just ensure that the location is nearby to a motorway, rail link and that the meeting venue is serviced by a bus route.  

2. Hiring swanky venues is expensive and passing on this cost by setting high entry fees will exclude smaller/cottage industry manufacturers and distributors. Thus entry to the 2012 Meet was £35 for manufacturers/distributors and this fee covered the village hall hire. 

3. Ensure that the meet venue is accessible, has adequate facilities (toilets/kitchen/tables & chairs) and plenty of free parking. Also check that there are enough power sockets. We had 12 double wall sockets in Cambridge but still needed to buy 3 power strips from Tesco to get extra sockets! 

4. Invariably some folks won't be able to make the specified date and ask/suggest that it's changed, so pick a meet date and stick to it. 

5. Start a Meet thread and keep it active by regularly updating the equipment list, attendees, manufacturers present etc. 

6. Rope in your friends and family to run the event cafe - thanks mum. :wink:

7. Hold a charity prize raffle. Solicit small prize donations from audio manufacturers/distributors and publicise who gave what in the meet thread.

8. Charge a small entry fee, e.g. £2. I didn't do this last time and barely covered the event costs. Relying on a `donations' bucket by the entrance yielded a very disappointing amount.

9. Have a first aid kit handy. An audio tool kit of e.g. needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, duck tape, fuses, 3.5mm to 6.5mm/6.5mm to 3.5mm adapters, IEC leads etc is very useful. 

10. Don't underestimate the time taken to organise everything! 

Cheers,
Andy.  

May 1, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #23 of 97
For anyone thinking of attending from mainland Europe, coming in by train or plane is easier with a London event!
We did have a couple of guys from Europe who attended last year, so something to keep in mind as well...

May 1, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #24 of 97
True, but the last two events were in London, so it's time to look further north!  
wink_face.gif

Quote:
For anyone thinking of attending from mainland Europe, coming in by train or plane is easier with a London event!
We did have a couple of guys from Europe who attended last year, so something to keep in mind as well...

May 1, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #25 of 97
London definitely has the easiest and most reliable transport links to anywhere. I say keep it in london!

A small entry fee isn't a bad idea, i wouldn't mind paying £2/£3

The russel hotel was a great venue with power sockets and everything you need, but may be expensive.

May 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #27 of 97
In my opinion the raffle and entry fee should be separate, as there should always be a choice whether one enters a prize draw or not.

Entry fee is a great idea, I may be speaking for myself, but £10 or even £20 with entry to the raffle is too bad either.

All the best

May 5, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #29 of 97
Hi guys, searching around, this can be closest meetup for me. (ITA)
Hope to hear some news and find some cheapish flights.

Take care all

May 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #30 of 97

smial1966 said:
smial1966

True, but the last two events were in London, so it's time to look further north!  
wink_face.gif

At least you tried Andy
bigsmile_face.gif

I share the concerns about the event going down a trade show route. Such an event should be in addition to a meet.

I was going to gently suggest some benefits of holding the meet elsewhere
evil_smiley.gif
but we're treating this as a national event, which is perhaps a mistake. If the focus is to enable people to try different gear, perhaps this is best served by more, smaller, regional meets. This may limit the available gear but should provide an increased opportunity to listen to what is there, and, of course, there's no reason you couldn't travel further should you want to. Or, maybe hold, say, three events around the country over the year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back