LOL, K501s and bass roll-off re-re-re-revisited
Jun 26, 2002 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Nezer

Antibacterial soap... kills bacteria... bad karma?
Well, being without HD600s can lead a man to do some crazy things.

I've often wondered if the bass roll-off in the K501s was a result of driver design of possbily a weak cable. The stock cable is rather flimsy and too long (IMHO).

So I decided to replace the cable with something a little more meaty and see if the bass response picked-up.

At luch today I went down to Ratshack and picked-up one of thier gold-series cables. Sorry I don't have the particular model as I left the packaging at work. This particular model had a straight 1/8" plug on one end and terminated in two male RCA connections. The RCA connections were red and white plastic encased though the actual plugs were gold in color.

When I got hom I chopped the plugs off as I am mot needing these and preceded to strip and tin the wires. I desoldered the old cable and put it aside and proceeded to solder the new cable into place. I ran one channel to each driver thus cutting that stupid over-the-headband-cheesy-wire-run out of the picture for the right channel.

After performing this mod I ran (not walked) upstairs with my first test to see what happened to the bass.

I can now safely, and absolutly mean it when I say the weak bass is NOT a function of the drivers but rather a poor cable.

By low-bass extension test is from Sting's A Brand New Day on the first track "A Thousand Years". The song opens with a fairly low-frequency bass rumble. With the new cable I'd swear it was even better represented than the HD600s with the Clou Red (but that could just be because I havent been able to listen to them in a few weeks). Regardless of performance against the HD600s the new cable *removed* and low-bass extension problems that existed before.

I'm still evaluating the cable as a whole and I have preminarly noticed that the top-end seems a little smoother and perhaps less grainy. It is also a bit more detailed than the stock. Okay, maybe significantly more detailed. The first thing that is jumping out at me is that drums have more 'air' and 'decay'. Impressive.

I don't think I'm going to be happy with this cable in the end because if $7 did this to the sound, what would a canabalized Cardas do?? I really wish I could get the Sennheiser jacks and mount them in this headphone as I now feel *any* weakness in these headphones was a result of the cable and NOT of the drivers.

One downside is that they lack the 'impact' of the HD600s but this may not be a bad thing fo all people. As a matter of fact I think they lack a bit of impact from before the mod. Who knows, maybe some burn-in well help.

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 45
Well, so far the trade-off is impact and details seem to have improved.

Lets just say I've heard enough to consider doing something radical like trashing a Cardas.

I'm also disappointed that AKG didn't jack the cable input in the 501s.

This combo is almost too revealing as it's exposing flaws in recordings I previously didn't notice.

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 45
*pours some gasoline on this thread...*

I guess this proves that the standard K501s really do roll off bass.
eek.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
*pours some gasoline on this thread...*

I guess this proves that the standard K501s really do roll off bass.
eek.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I dunno if it proves anything other than my ears hear a difference.

What one can't dispute is the HR chart that shows a clear roll-off of the lower frequencies. I would *seriously* like to see a pair of modded 501s get tested.

One also can't dispute that I hear a difference. Though something isn't quite right about this cable. I'm beginign to think it doesn something *really* odd with the soundstage. The soundstage seems fuller with crossfeed off. More tests are needed but I can actually hear the cable breaking-in, a practice I didn't believe in until now.

I can hear the cable gain and loss teh bass as well as the soundstage grow and shrink. This is really bizzare and I doubt there could be any scientific explanation short of me losing my mind.

I *really* want to try a better cable now! If I could somehow make these so they will take the cables for the HD600s it would be a VERY intresting ride!

Jun 26, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Pics man!
Where are the pics!

Sorry... no digital camera... no pics...

I've decided to burn this thing in for a day or two until i make-up my mind but the bass has improved noticably but not to the extent of the HD600 which is probably a good thing.
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Nezer said...

More tests are needed but I can actually hear the cable breaking-in, a practice I didn't believe in until now.

The fire, it's spreading!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin

The fire, it's spreading!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ironically it's the same sound as Ricky having a heart-attack. :wink:

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 45
Let's see... Ricky, cable burn-in, 501 bass, Sennheiser bashing... yup, I think this thread has potential to win the "Most Controversial Thread Ever" award.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
I desoldered the old cable and put it aside and proceeded to solder the new cable into place

Nezer:

How did you know where to solder the cable? I've been inside the 501 and it's not that obvious where the actual wire connections are. Or is it obvious and I'm a bit daft? The left side shows where the wire leads but the right side, I would assume you solder where the headband "connects" to the driver?

I'm curious to try this even though I find the 501 to be fine as is. And as we all know, curiosity needs to be satisfied
eek.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Nezer:

How did you know where to solder the cable? I've been inside the 501 and it's not that obvious where the actual wire connections are. Or is it obvious and I'm a bit daft? The left side shows where the wire leads but the right side, I would assume you solder where the headband "connects" to the driver?

I'm curious to try this even though I find the 501 to be fine as is. And as we all know, curiosity needs to be satisfied
eek.gif

Next time you are inside them, look for wires.
tongue.gif

The normal cable has three wires coming in, two of these run to metal posts from the driver, one of these is also run the the posts comfing from the headband attachement (this is the return), and a third wire runs to the other headband post.

If you look at the wires it's quite obvious.

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Now why in the hell would you want to ruin a perfectly balanced headphone by turning it into a dark and veiled Sennheiser boombox?

very_evil_smiley.gif

I kind of agree with this. Every hp has its pros & cons. That's the fun of head-fing. It sounds to me you are trying to tune K501 and make it sound like HD600. Why bother? Might as well just go buy HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back