Logitech Z5500D Question
Apr 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shadow Hunter

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

So I recently got given a Logitech Z5500D speaker set that one of my friend's friend's didnt want anymore that is missing the sub and remote. I have the 4 satellites, the center speaker, and the control pod. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could hook this up? I was looking around for a sub on ebay (I live in Canada and nothing ships up here...) and there are some on ebay.com but they will only ship to the US. Can I pick up a cheapo amp at a second hand store and wire em up with an input? I really would like the sub but... I also have a Logitech Z4 system that I am currently using that I bought several years ago new. Is there a way toi hook up this sub to those satellites and get surround? I'm gonna say no, but maybe someone here knows more than I do about Logitech speakers... Or does anyone know where I can buy just the sub for the Z5500D in Canada?

Thanks,
Shadow Hunter

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hey all,

So I recently got given a Logitech Z5500D speaker set that one of my friend's friend's didnt want anymore that is missing the sub and remote. I have the 4 satellites, the center speaker, and the control pod. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could hook this up? I was looking around for a sub on ebay (I live in Canada and nothing ships up here...) and there are some on ebay.com but they will only ship to the US. Can I pick up a cheapo amp at a second hand store and wire em up with an input? I really would like the sub but... I also have a Logitech Z4 system that I am currently using that I bought several years ago new. Is there a way toi hook up this sub to those satellites and get surround? I'm gonna say no, but maybe someone here knows more than I do about Logitech speakers... Or does anyone know where I can buy just the sub for the Z5500D in Canada?

Thanks,
Shadow Hunter

LMFAOROFL!  Dude, your friend is a jerk!  I'm pretty sure without the sub that you now have 5 paper weights unless you want to rewire them yourself?  Do they connect via speaker wire or RCA plugs?  I can't remember but I used to own one of these also.  The control pod is useless without the sub.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Lol, well in his defense I grabbed it out of a carful of stuff he was taking to the dump so... xD But anyways, they all connect through speaker wire, and the control pod is a female vga port style connector.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Lol, well in his defense I grabbed it out of a carful of stuff he was taking to the dump so... xD But anyways, they all connect through speaker wire, and the control pod is a female vga port style connector.

For all the hassle, I would just pick up a pair of the Corsair SP2500, they're $189 on NewEgg, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852001&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Speakers-_-N82E16836852001&gclid=CNKTleCN5LYCFQTd4AodURMAgg) or a nice set of headphones, perhaps the Sennheiser HD280Pros (they run for $99 at Best Buy).  I still love my HD280Pros.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, I am plenty happy with the Z4, but if I could buy a sub for the 5500 or just wire something up it might be cool to try real surround sound. I have the Z4's and a set of Corsair HS1's already so my needs are covered, now it just comes down to my wants. It is more of a something I might try than something I actually really want though xD

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 6
Get an old, cheap used AVR. According to Newegg, those speakers seem to be 8 ohms. They should run fine off a receiver, although you might have to be careful not run them too hard.

However, you need to find out the low end frequency response of just the speakers (without the sub included). Typically speakers like that need a pretty high crossover, which means a sub that can run pretty high. And the receiver would need to be able to set a crossover that high as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back