Logitech Z5500 + Soundcard
Nov 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
I have had some very bad experiences with the creative XFI.
Still tempted to wait a few more days and check out some reviews to see how it rates against the ST/STX.
Any announced features which improved over the st/stx?
What about the release date?

I believe the Recon 3D PCI-Express is coming out any day now.
Currently all the sellers have it listed for back order.

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
I cant find the soundcard listed on any popular websites.
Could you help by giving me a link?

Scheduled release date for Recon3D PCI-E (SB1350)  Dec, 1st

Amazon
Newegg

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
I have the same set up and I've used all the main sound cards - the best one for 5.1 is the [size=x-small]Creative Titanium HD without a doubt.[/size]

You're talking S/PDIF with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, right? The Titanium HD only outputs two channels in analog...

(Fortunately, as someone who only uses headphones, that's all I need.)

Quote:
I have had some very bad experiences with the creative XFI.

Still tempted to wait a few more days and check out some reviews to see how it rates against the ST/STX.

Any announced features which improved over the st/stx?

What about the release date?

Which X-Fi, exactly? Titanium HD owners in general seem to be pleased with theirs, with no complaints of driver problems or anything that doesn't have to do with analog output above stereo. (At least under Windows. If for whatever reason you want to dabble in Linux with a Titanium HD...don't. You're in for a headache just trying to get it to work.)

Based on the specs, particularly the SNR of the DACs and ADCs within the Sound Core3D upon which the Recon3D cards are based, they're still below the X-Fi Titanium HD in pure sound fidelity, let alone the Xonar Essence ST(X). I think they're meant to replace the X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) line.

As for drivers...those might turn out for the better, or for the worse. Too early to tell right now.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
You're talking S/PDIF with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, right? The Titanium HD only outputs two channels in analog...
(Fortunately, as someone who only uses headphones, that's all I need.)
Which X-Fi, exactly? Titanium HD owners in general seem to be pleased with theirs, with no complaints of driver problems or anything that doesn't have to do with analog output above stereo. (At least under Windows. If for whatever reason you want to dabble in Linux with a Titanium HD...don't. You're in for a headache just trying to get it to work.)
Based on the specs, particularly the SNR of the DACs and ADCs within the Sound Core3D upon which the Recon3D cards are based, they're still below the X-Fi Titanium HD in pure sound fidelity, let alone the Xonar Essence ST(X). I think they're meant to replace the X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) line.
As for drivers...those might turn out for the better, or for the worse. Too early to tell right now.

There are at least 2 models (maybe 3) for the Recon3D PCI-E, I think the current specs might be for the base model ($100).

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 26
I had the xfi extreme gamer.

It gave me problems with OSboot,Jitter( probably due to not having the emi shield) and drivers.

I will probably go for the ST/STX but still tempted to check out the reviews for the new creative soundcard.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
I had the xfi extreme gamer.
It gave me problems with OSboot,Jitter( probably due to not having the emi shield) and drivers.
I will probably go for the ST/STX but still tempted to check out the reviews for the new creative soundcard.

Hopefully reviews will start hitting the web sometime after midnight tonight.
I would guess those that have been given a sample of the Recon3D to review
have some sort of non disclouse agreement to not publish reviews until Dec. 1st
Which is in 15 hours (PST).

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 26
Forget CREATIVE. The only card you should consider is from Azuntech. FORGET THE REST. SIMPLE.
Connect using analogue to your z5500 because the DAC on the Z5500 is poor.
Suprisingly the EFFECTS on the z5500 are excellent I use the effects on that rather than the effects processing on the card itself.. its just overkill as Im into music mainly.
This is the last upgrade I will use before I venture into  seperates DACs/AV receivers and proper speakers but for now, with this card! my god  the sound seperation is immense. You have to compensate for the boomy bass from the  speakers. I do this by reducing the dreaded 120HZ band to just a small amount and increasing the very lowest 30hz equalizer to around 75%. I also increase most of the higher frequencies. Once you tweak the graphics equaliser settings right like this.. you realise you just dont need to spend all that money for this set up. The sound result is epic, especially at low volume, lets face it, its rare these babies get even 50% of volume. Enjoy.

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:
Forget CREATIVE. The only card you should consider is from Azuntech. FORGET THE REST. SIMPLE.
Connect using analogue to your z5500 because the DAC on the Z5500 is poor.
Suprisingly the EFFECTS on the z5500 are excellent I use the effects on that rather than the effects processing on the card itself.. its just overkill as Im into music mainly.

The X-Fi Titanium HD is actually a surprisingly good Creative-built effort, but prior to that, I would have been more likely to recommend the X-Fi Prelude, X-Fi Forte (as long as you get a later-revision card with a heatsink on the DSP), or X-Fi HomeTheater HD. If anything, I believe those cards are the reason Creative wised up and made the Titanium HD in the first place.

What DSP effects would the Z-5500 be capable of? I know it has Dolby Digital and DTS decoding capability with a cheap DAC, but nothing else fancy. Can't say I'm surprised you're not using the card's effects too much, though; most of that pertains to gaming.

Quote:
There are at least 2 models (maybe 3) for the Recon3D PCI-E, I think the current specs might be for the base model ($100).

The thing about the Sound Core3D that the Recon3D cards are based on is that it integrates the DAC and ADC into the same package as the DSP, among other things. That doesn't allow for a lot of improvement.

Also, knowing Creative's business model, they like to release the same basic card at varying price points with different accessories and maybe a few extra components soldered on the PCB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back