Logitech Z2300 or Edifier S730
Oct 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JRG1990

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have the Z2300 and was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the edifier s730, The problems i have with the logitechs are the lack of midrange the drivers are too small to provide decide thumpy midrange, and the burning voicecoil in the sub, it smells when i have the bass to max and volume past 55% which i do often and i'm sure 1day it will burn out completly it seems really badly built, i do like the bass sound and the extended boomy bass from the long-though driver really suits my music well but the sub seems to lack power with frequences below 40hz, i was wondering if the edifier would solve these problems and is actually worth it's £234 price-tag also i was wondering whether the edifier would have the same or even better bass performance, really loud extendend bass that shakes everything and doesn't disort even when pushed really hard is what i like.

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 6
To add, I do own a cheaper edifier 2.1 set for my parents, and judging by s730 reviews, I have an idea of what the subwoofer sound like. They don't go thump thump like usual pc speakers that produce boomy and muddy base many people gets addicted to. Edifier doesn't even call it subwoofer but something else. They're quite restrained and produce different kind of sound. You'll probably go where da base? and turn bass volume to max and gets surprised when they do respond to different areas where you did not expect. They respond more like growls, low frequency vibrations, resonance as opposed to punching the air with bang bang like other pc speakers. After initial puzzling impression, I come to appreciate the more natural sound approach to bass instead of artificial overblown punchy bass other PC speaker contraptions produce. But bass impact is highly addictive sensation. You probably won't like edifier woofers.

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 6
Jrg,
Well, here's the thing,
You are not happy with the z2300... so I'd suggest moving your focus to a different type of system other than the very available consumer line of speakers like: Bose, creative, logitech, Altec Lansing, -- you know, the BestBuy brands... This includes Edifier as that type.

Not that they are all that bad... Cuz they are not bad.
It is just that the higher end speakers are that good.

Take AudioEngine for example... Their A2's can serve as awesome satellites - BECAUSE they were originally designed as a stand-alone 2.0 system. They can go deep enough by themselves... then you can add a subwoofer if you like deep, stronger bass.

Now Audioengine is by no means the best option. Also look at the M-audio AV40 or if you can afford the space and $$ - the BX5a are great beginnings.
KRK Rokit series are awesome too. A subwoofer can be added to these 2.0 sets at anytime... but personally, I think they are sufficient by themselves.

Hope you have places where you live that has these monitors... Check out a music store: guitar store.

Good Luck

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 6
Ideally i would go for the full rokit set-up 2x KRK GP8 G2 and KRK 10S ROKIT POWERED 10S , but it would cost £700 i don't have that kind of money £300 is my limit for a powerful 2.1 set-up, the m-audio's are more affordable but with tiny drivers and only a few watts of power it's not what i'm looking for. A sub is a must for me i listen to dubstep and it's mainly all about the bass, i live in a small crappy town there are no decent hi-fi shops near me i have to buy online and use amazon mainly.
I have been listening to my smaller logitech z3 this morning and the bass is so much more controlled and clearer i actually prefer this than the z2300's loss boomy bass.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 6
I've had the edifier S730 a few weeks now, the sound quality is well above any logitechs, the logitechs sounded cheap the edifier s730 sounds like a high-end system, the bass is very powerful and doesn't boom unless you use the volume booster and go over volume 50 volume 50+ wouldn't be needed unless you were having a party in a large room, the huge sub also doesn't false any extra bass on anything the bass is very clean and you can easily hear every bass note, the satalites are also of high quality nothing like the cheap crap you normally get with a 2.1 system, they sound just as good as some small mid-ranged bookshelf speakers, the silk dome tweeters are very crisp and incredibly clear and never too harsh, i hear high notes i've never heard before, the midrange is ok and quite clear the 3.25" driver can provide a bit of mid range thump, but sometimes not enough and it can lack a little bit, it's a bit of a miss match a 3.25" midrange driver with a 10" sub, overall it's a very decent system though, i enjoy listening to my music on it, it has a very clear power sound, i did change all the interconnects though i replaced the standard aluminum core speaker cable, with the qed 42 strand copper core speaker cable,  2x2m cost me around £4 and the satalites and a bit clearer with a bit more thump, i replaced the supplyed 3.5 to twin rca phono cable, with a xxion ultimate 1 with a 99.99% ofc , individually screened and alot thicker than the supplyed cable the result is slightly better and low-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back