Logitech Z-5500 Upgrade. RTI4, Infinity P162? HRT Music Streamer? Amp? Questions!
Sep 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

liveify

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my logitech z5500's( :frowning2: ) to something a bit more like my ultrasone HFI-680's or better.

I'm thinking about getting Polk RTI4's or Inifinity P162 and using them with a receiver I have until I can get a better amp. One is a Onkyo TX-NR509 with a dead HDMI board (lightening strike) or an older Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Would these be adequate or should I be looking for a better (smaller) amp?

Any other speaker suggestions for around the same price range? (I will go to $250/pair if the upgrade is justified by the price) I'm going to be listening to them from a few feet away and I usually listen to calmer music, stuff like Iron and Wine and Margot and the Nuclear So and So's with mostly guitars and vocals

For a source would something like a HRT Music Screamer II be overkill? Right now all I'm using is the built in sound card on my lenovo W520.

Or would an active speaker set serve me better like a Swan M200MKIII?

Thanks!!

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Either 1 of them receivers is fine, but I wouldn't use the 1 damaged by lighting for saftey reasons , the Hrt music streamer is fine for a usb dac, for passive speakers look at the behringer b2030p or b2031p or alesis m1 mk2's passives.

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Yea thats them, the alesis are more netruel and have better soundstaging and stereo imaging, it is like stepping into the music with the alesis, they also handle bass better and it doesn't roll til about 50hz.
The behringers have better treble its metal domes sound better than the alesis's silk domes, the behringers have a good sound stage but nowhere near the alesis's unique soundstage, the behringers have a slightly boosted bass and treble they are a bit quicker and more punchy than the alesis but don't go as low, the b2030p only goes down to 90hz the b2031p 60hz.
The alesis and b2031p are 4ohms check whether your amp can drive 4ohm speakers first.

There are other speakers about if you like a forward midrange or more coloured sound, but the alesis and behringers are a steal at there price points you won't find anything techincally better for that money.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Both but the bigger b2031p isn't far off the alesis, the alesis has a bigger port and more excursion thats why they go lower, the behringers are more punchy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back