Logitech Z-5500. help @ installing it?
Jan 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

UnD

New Head-Fier
Hi ! first of all, i hope i did well posting this here hehe, i looked for a "better" forum and didnt find it
frown.gif

First of all, i'd like to state that im SO NOOB, this means, i really appreciate your help, and well, i'd like to ask for "normal" words, since i wont understand any kind of specific vocabulary
frown.gif
and i really need help

I just bought the Logitech Z-5500
z5000.jpg

And i installed them on my room, but i found a problem (yes, im that noob... :p)

when i read the instructions i found something speaking about soundcard channels, etc.

the thing is that i dont know how to connect them to the CPU
frown.gif
.. since i got a cable with 3 thingies, a green one, a black one and an orange one... and on the rear of the called "soundtouch", it appears "6ch direct" and "digital" divided in "coax" and "optical" and things like that...

i dont know how many channels does my soundcard have...

Its a Realtek High Definition Audio, with ALC660, if you need any other information just ask please
smily_headphones1.gif

as you see, im a completely noob on this things.. and i just want to play games, listen to music, and watch movies with this 5.1

hope you can help me! would be so nice from you hehe

see you soon !!!

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Well on your computer soundcard are the jacks colored? Many modern computers color code the jacks. If they are then just play "granimals" with it (i.e. match the colors).

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope they arent, and its a notebook, i mean, there are no "3 jacks" :'(...

theres only a (headphone jack) and a (microphone jack)

Oh well guess what, you will only plug in one of those. I believe the green one into the headphone jack. This means that you will only get stereo sound out of the speakers and the other 3 speakers will do nothing.

However are you sure your laptop does not have some form of digital output? Many double up the use of the headphone jack to also support a mini-toslink connection. If yours does this then you can connect that and get the surround sound.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh well guess what, you will only plug in one of those. I believe the green one into the headphone jack. This means that you will only get stereo sound out of the speakers and the other 3 speakers will do nothing.

However are you sure your laptop does not have some form of digital output? Many double up the use of the headphone jack to also support a mini-toslink connection. If yours does this then you can connect that and get the surround sound.

well, i plugged in the green cable and the surround works, or thats what it seems, coz all the speakers work (the rear ones got not a sooo "high volume" sound but well... seems that's surround?)

i mean, stereo x2 sound > surround sound speaking about rear-speakers sound level... i think this "surround" isnt so good, coz of my notebook
frown.gif

still in doubt, coz i dont find any way to connect those other 2 cables or any way to improve this.

i just saw on my instructions the modes that my speakers can do

DTS
DOLBY DIGITAL
PRO LOGIC II MOVIE
PRO LOGIC II MUSIC
6 CHANNEL DIRECT
STEREO X2
STEREO

but when i turn on my speakers, the only modes awailable are

PRO LOGIC II MOVIE
PRO LOGIC II MUSIC
6 CHANNEL DIRECT
STEREO X2
STEREO

i mean i cannot see the DTS or DOLBY DIGITAL sound :S..

seems in a table that there must be a COAXIAL connection, a 5.1 DTS signal coaxial connection :S..

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 6
The other poster was right.. You will get only 2channel stereo- the rear speakers and Ctr chanell will provide no sound. You can prob get them to produce sound, but it will be not tru 5.1 surround.
I will suggest returning this set and getting something else.
My buddy just did the same thing- wanted the z5500 but he was playing from a laptop- and unfortunately, most if not all laptops (even my dell studio xps16) only has hdmi out for tru suround sound.

If you MUST have 5.1 surround- then you will have to buy new desktop with coax or optical out... Or buy a reciever- amp that supports hdmi dts/Dolby.. And buy home theatre bookshelf speakers.

Or- if you just want some good quality sound and do not mind 2.0 or 2.1 stereo sound... Then just get some good studio monitors- like audioengines, krk, swans, m-audio,etc... These quality 2.0/2.1 speakers will strereo image well enough to give some sound field effects which will be great for movies and games...+ 2.0 systems are usually cheaper than the z5500. [______L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back