Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Digital Speakers
Apr 1, 2007 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

smsmasters

100+ Head-Fier
I will be receiving these speakers hopefully next week and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on its sound quality?

Does anyone know where I can find a frequency response graph for these speakers?

Kind Regards
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 15
Apr 3, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 15
alot of gamers on THG love 'em, but I am going to get Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1.

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I dont own these speakers myself, but here is a review I found that might be useful for you.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ogitech-z-5500

There is a frequency response graph on the final page of the review :

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...iew_fullscreen

BTW, if you did get these, maybe you can let us know how they sound compared to your Creative T6060 5.1 speakers.

Cheers

Thanks. At the moment, I find my t6060 speakers "ok" but very "congested" in some rocks songs. It's very fatiguing to listen to
frown.gif
It also sounds quite tinny and lacking in mid range and the subwoofer sounds like it's only playing one note all the time.
frown.gif
I usually use my IEMs for music listening.
basshead.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 15
I was looking into computer speakers a year or so ago and ended up doing an HTPC setup instead, as all my music is on my computer. Its definitely more expensive but this is what I put together on the cheap and I like it very much.

X-Mystique 7.1 card (for optical out and onboard dolby processing although I've just begun searching this forum for something better) 60.00
Onkyo TX-sr503 Refurbished 159.00 or so
Fluance SX-HTB+ 5 piece surround speakers.299.99
I'm sure I'll be laughed off of the Forum but I really like these speakers. I think I paid 269.00 back then. But for a budget speaker solution I don't think you can do better. I'm an extreme novice when it comes to audophilia (is that a word? lol) But I know what sounds good to me and these speakers where a pleasant surprise. I was all set and had plans to buy a subwoofer as soon as I could afford it and have yet to do so, I have all the bass I really need living in an apartment and all. This setup serves me very well for gaming, music and Movies.
That said the reviews of the Logitech Z5500 are mostly positive, I've listened to it and it was decent, but little boomy for my tastes. Although I'm certain it's impractical for most, I'm extremely pleased with my solution to the computer speaker conundrum both with performance and price and as I had no home stereo it ended up filling many needs for me. Happy hunting.

Apr 4, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 15
I've been using them for over a year for games and movies. It's the cheapest way to obtain pretty good surround sound. However, I was not happy with music, so moved on to sterio bookshelves for that purpose.

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 15
I dont run surround...my computer speakers are a couple of old Pioneer bookshelf speakers hooked to an Onkyo stereo receiver along with a 10" powered subwoofer. I went from Klipsch Promedia 2.1s to my current, and dont think Ill ever go back to computer speakers again. My bookshelves are cheapies, and I plan on getting better ones soon. Probably will build my own sometime down the line.

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 15
For music, try using a coax cable from your Xfi. Then set for bit perfect playback, and connect your best headphones into the receiver of the Z5500. I liked the music form the DAC of the Z5500 over the DAC of the Xfi. For games, however, keep your analog cables connected for the surround sound in games and the Xfi EAX sound effects (discrete 5 channel). Its hard to beat your set-up for games and movies on your desktop. You can keep both cables (digital and annalog) connected, and simply select the desired input from the receiver
cool.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 15
Try both and see what you like the best. The digital cable (coax in your case to connect to the Xfi card) only allows you to use the DAC in the Z5500 speakers-- where you may notice a small difference in music. For games and movies, the analog cables/XFi DAC sound better to me.

www.monoprice.com and www.bluejeans.com and www.radioshack.com should provide the cable and converter needed. A standard 6' coax cable (RCA to RCA) works fine. Then you need a 1/8" mini plug to RCA converter-- $4 at RadioShack for a gold one.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 15
i like these computer speakers. you could get a much better 2.1 setup for that price, but the point is you're getting 3 more speakers with this. i used to own it for gaming, it was definitely adequate for that application. i use altec lansing for computer speakers now, which are pretty much just as good with tighter bass in the sub. main reason i switched is because the altec lansings are smaller.

edit: also, i feel that they deserve my money more because of their excellent fullrange passive speakers.
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 15
i have the x-fi extreme music and the z5450's and my roomate had the z5300 and the bass is slightly muddy but for games, these speakers rule but for music, there are better alternatives.

my roomie eventually ended up selling his z5300's for some insignia bookshelf speakers. he said music sounds better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back